s
r
d
l
a
chels194 chels194
wrote...
13 years ago
Glycolysis converts glucose to pyruvic acid.
1) List 2 compounds, other than glucose, which are required for this process and why they are required.
2) Then, list 3 compounds, other than pyruvate, which are produced by this process and what is their subsequent use.
Read 2147 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey Chels194, welcome back.

1) ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate is an absolute requirement)

NAD+ (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide): NAD+ is involved in redox reactions, carrying electrons from one reaction to another.

2) Remeber, NAD+ is reduced to NADH. NADH is used during oxidative phosphorylation. The hydrogen of the NADH is transferred to the first molecule of the electron transport chain (FMN flavin mononucleotide in complex I.

H2O is also produced, which is used in step seven of the citric acid cyle.

Finally, 2 ATP molecules are also produced. These can be reused during glycolysis to extract more energy out of glucose.
chels194 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
bio_man, for #2, does Glucose-6-phosphate count as one? If so, what is its subsequent use? is it amino acids to make proteins? I don't think it's right. Not sure
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
No. G6P is not a biproduct. G6P is then rearranged into fructose 6-phosphate (F6P) by glucose phosphate isomerase. Therefore, it is technically used to create pyruvate at the end of glycolysis. It is a charged sugar molecule, not an amino acid (total different ball park chels194).
chels194 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
So what could be another compound for #2 to be produced?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
No, I don't think so chels194. Because a single glucose molecule in glycolysis produces a total of 2 molecules of pyruvic acid, 2 molecules of ATP, 2 molecules of NADH and 2 molecules of water.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1128 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?