l
t
S
m
s
vanessa234 vanessa234
wrote...
13 years ago
What medical advances over the past 100 years do you think have been the most important? Explain your answer. In your response, include how these advances affect you today.  Slight Smile
Read 2785 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
I will give you an example...

Coronary artery bypass surgery

What is it:

It is a surgical procedure performed to relieve angina and reduce the risk of death from coronary artery disease. Arteries or veins from elsewhere in the patient's body are grafted to the coronary arteries to bypass atherosclerotic narrowings and improve the blood supply to the coronary circulation supplying the myocardium (heart muscle).

Why it's important:

Heart disease (Coronary heart disease) is the leading cause of death in the United States, England, and Canada, accounting for 25.4% of the total deaths in the United States.

Coronary heart disease refers to the failure of the coronary circulation to supply adequate circulation to cardiac muscle and surrounding tissue. Coronary heart disease is most commonly equated with Coronary artery disease although coronary heart disease can be due to other causes, such as coronary vasospasm.

Coronary artery disease is a disease of the artery caused by the accumulation of atheromatous plaques within the walls of the arteries that supply the myocardium. Angina pectoris (chest pain) and myocardial infarction (heart attack) are symptoms of and conditions caused by coronary heart disease.

How has it affected me?

My grandfather had a heart attack a few years ago and was save by bypass surgery.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  957 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249