d
l
a
s
MalorieB MalorieB
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A dangling modifier is a word, phrase, or clause illogically separated from the word it describes.

Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Ques. 2

The following sentence contains a misplaced clause: The map was missing from the house that we needed to help us find the airport.

Ques. 3

The following sentence contains a misplaced modifier: The hotel had a special room for newlyweds with a hot tub, fireplace, and coupons for good divorce lawyers.

Ques. 4

Which of the following sentences does not contain a dangling modifier?

a) Before leaving to catch the plane, we cleaned our house thoroughly.
  b) To excel at golf, much practice and dedication is required.
  c) While still a college junior, many professional teams offered him a lucrative contract to play for them.

Ques. 5

Choose the option that is modified correctly.

a) The overwhelmed caterer needed additional staff to help cook for the big party badly.
  b) The overwhelmed caterer badly needed additional staff to help cook for the big party.
  c) The overwhelmed caterer needed additional staff to help cook badly for the big party.

Ques. 6

What is often stated as a topic sentence and explains the author's one main point about the subject?

a) main idea
  b) major detail
  c) minor detail

Ques. 7

Why is the following a sentence fragment? A sweet old lady who collected porcelain dolls.

a) dependent clause
  b) no subject
  c) no main verb

Ques. 8

The following sentence is correctly punctuated: My friend Toby, a long-time San Diego resident, is relocating to Florida next year; therefore, I invited him to stay with us until he finds his own place.

Ques. 9

The following sentence contains no errors: Unfortunately, my brother's car, which he inherited from our father, broke down late last night, so I had to give him a ride home.

Ques. 10

The following compound-complex sentence is punctuated correctly: He loves to buy expensive clothes; however, his parents had to pay the bills.

Ques. 11

The following complex sentence is punctuated correctly: As long as I can afford the rent, I will stay in this apartment.

Read 51 times
3 Replies