t
i
r
r
whatsupgirl whatsupgirl
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A young adult female patient who is human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive has a new prescription for efavirenz (Sustiva). Which information is most important to include in the medication teaching plan?

a. Driving is allowed when starting this medication.
  b. Report any bizarre dreams to the health care provider.
  c. Continue to use contraception while on this medication.
  d. Take this medication in the morning on an empty stomach.

Question 2

A patient who is diagnosed with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) tells the nurse, I feel obsessed with thoughts about dying. Do you think I am just being morbid? Which response by the nurse is best?

a. Thinking about dying will not improve the course of AIDS.
  b. It is important to focus on the good things about your life now.
  c. Do you think that taking an antidepressant might be helpful to you?
  d. Can you tell me more about the kind of thoughts that you are having?

Question 3

A pregnant woman with a history of asymptomatic chronic human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection is seen at the clinic. The patient states, I am very nervous about making my baby sick.

Which information will the nurse include when teaching the patient?
  a. The antiretroviral medications used to treat HIV infection are teratogenic.
  b. Most infants born to HIV-positive mothers are not infected with the virus.
  c. Because she is at an early stage of HIV infection, the infant will not contract HIV.
  d. It is likely that her newborn will become infected with HIV unless she uses antiretroviral therapy (ART).

Question 4

A patient with a positive rapid antibody test result for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is anxious and does not appear to hear what the nurse is saying. What action by the nurse is most important at this time?

a. Teach the patient about the medications available for treatment.
  b. Inform the patient how to protect sexual and needle-sharing partners.
  c. Remind the patient about the need to return for retesting to verify the results.
  d. Ask the patient to notify individuals who have had risky contact with the patient.

Question 5

A patient who has a positive test for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies is admitted to the hospital with Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PCP) and a CD4+ T-cell count of less than 200 cells/L.

Based on diagnostic criteria established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which statement by the nurse is correct?
  a. The patient meets the criteria for a diagnosis of an acute HIV infection.
  b. The patient will be diagnosed with asymptomatic chronic HIV infection.
  c. The patient has developed acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
  d. The patient will develop symptomatic chronic HIV infection in less than a year.

Question 6

A patient who is receiving an IV antibiotic develops wheezes and dyspnea. In which order should the nurse implement these prescribed actions? (Put a comma and a space between each answer choice A, B, C, D, E).

a. Discontinue the antibiotic infusion.
  b. Give diphenhydramine (Benadryl) IV.
  c. Inject epinephrine (Adrenalin) IM or IV.
  d. Prepare an infusion of dopamine (Intropin).
  e. Start 100 oxygen using a nonrebreather mask.

Question 7

A patient who has vague symptoms of fatigue, headaches, and a positive test for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies using an enzyme immunoassay (EIA) test. What instructions should the nurse give to this patient?

a. The EIA test will need to be repeated to verify the results.
  b. A viral culture will be done to determine the progression of the disease.
  c. It will probably be 10 or more years before you develop acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
  d. The Western blot test will be done to determine whether acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) has developed.
Read 38 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
Raudhatul i.Raudhatul i.
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 610 words.