t
i
r
r
yjiang5 yjiang5
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A patient states, I told my husband I wouldn't buy as much prepared food snacks, so I will go the grocery store to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grains.

When using the Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change, the nurse identifies that this patient is in which stage of change?
  a. Preparation
  b. Termination
  c. Maintenance
  d. Contemplation

Question 2

A patient who was admitted to the hospital with hyperglycemia and newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus is scheduled for discharge the second day after admission. When implementing patient teaching, what is the priority action for the nurse?

a. Instruct about the increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
  b. Provide detailed information about dietary control of glucose.
  c. Teach glucose self-monitoring and medication administration.
  d. Give information about the effects of exercise on glucose control.

Question 3

A patient is diagnosed with heart failure after being admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath and fatigue. Which teaching strategy, if implemented by the nurse, is most likely to be effective?

a. Assure the patient that the nurse is an expert on management of heart failure.
  b. Teach the patient at each meal about the amounts of sodium in various foods.
  c. Discuss the importance of medication control in maintenance of long-term health.
  d. Refer the patient to a home health nurse for instructions on diet and fluid restrictions.

Question 4

After the nurse provides dietary instructions for a patient with diabetes, the patient can explain the information but fails to make the recommended dietary changes. How would the nurse evaluate the patient's situation?

a. Learning did not occur because the patient's behavior did not change.
  b. Choosing not to follow the diet is the behavior that resulted from learning.
  c. The nursing responsibility for helping the patient make dietary changes has been fulfilled.
  d. The teaching methods were ineffective in helping the patient learn the dietary instructions.

Question 5

In what order will the nurse perform these actions when doing a physical assessment for a patient admitted with abdominal pain? (Put a comma and a space between each answer choice A, B, C, D.)

a. Percuss the abdomen to locate any areas of dullness.
  b. Palpate the abdomen to check for tenderness or masses.
  c. Inspect the abdomen for distention or other abnormalities.
  d. Auscultate the abdomen for the presence of bowel sounds.

Question 6

A patient with newly diagnosed colon cancer has a nursing diagnosis of deficient knowledge about colon cancer. The nurse should initially focus on which learning goal for this patient?

a. The patient will select the most appropriate colon cancer therapy.
  b. The patient will state ways of preventing the recurrence of the cancer.
  c. The patient will demonstrate coping skills needed to manage the disease.
  d. The patient will choose methods to minimize adverse effects of treatment.
Read 50 times
2 Replies