t
i
r
r
kkqueen14 kkqueen14
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse assesses clients who are at risk for diabetes mellitus. Which client is at greatest risk?

a. A 29-year-old Caucasian
  b. A 32-year-old African-American
  c. A 44-year-old Asian
  d. A 48-year-old American Indian

Question 2

A nurse teaches a client who is diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's plan of care to delay the onset of microvascular and macrovascular complications?

a. Maintain tight glycemic control and prevent hyperglycemia.
  b. Restrict your fluid intake to no more than 2 liters a day.
  c. Prevent hypoglycemia by eating a bedtime snack.
  d. Limit your intake of protein to prevent ketoacidosis.

Question 3

A nurse cares for a client who has a family history of diabetes mellitus. The client states, My father has type 1 diabetes mellitus. Will I develop this disease as well? How should the nurse respond?

a. Your risk of diabetes is higher than the general population, but it may not occur.
  b. No genetic risk is associated with the development of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
  c. The risk for becoming a diabetic is 50 because of how it is inherited.
  d. Female children do not inherit diabetes mellitus, but male children will.

Question 4

A nurse assesses a client who has a 15-year history of diabetes and notes decreased tactile sensation in both feet. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Document the finding in the client's chart.
  b. Assess tactile sensation in the client's hands.
  c. Examine the client's feet for signs of injury.
  d. Notify the health care provider.

Question 5

After teaching a young adult client who is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the need for eye examinations?

a. At my age, I should continue seeing the ophthalmologist as I usually do.
  b. I will see the eye doctor when I have a vision problem and yearly after age 40.
  c. My vision will change quickly. I should see the ophthalmologist twice a year.
  d. Diabetes can cause blindness, so I should see the ophthalmologist yearly.
Read 68 times
3 Replies