t
S
m
s
hk7 hk7
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A nurse cares for an adult client who has received genetic testing. The client's mother asks to receive the results of her daughter's genetic tests. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Obtain a signed consent from the client allowing test results to be released to the mother.
  b. Invite the mother and other family members to participate in genetic counseling with the client.
  c. Encourage the mother to undergo genetic testing to determine if she has the same risks as her child.
  d. Direct the mother to speak with the client and support the client's decision to share or not share the results.

Question 2

A health care provider prescribes genetic testing for a client who has a family history of colorectal cancer. Which action should the nurse take before scheduling the client for the procedure?

a. Confirm that informed consent was obtained and placed on the client's chart.
  b. Provide genetic counseling to the client and the client's family members.
  c. Assess if the client is prepared for the risk of psychological side effects.
  d. Respect the client's right not to share the results of the genetic test.

Question 3

A client who tests positive for a mutation in the BRCA1 gene allele asks a nurse to be present when she discloses this information to her adult daughter. How should the nurse respond?

a. I will request a genetic counselor who is more qualified to be present for this conversation.
  b. The test results can be confusing; I will help you interpret them for your daughter.
  c. Are you sure you want to share this information with your daughter, who may not test positive for this gene mutation?
  d. This conversation may be difficult for both of you; I will be there to provide support.

Question 4

A nurse consults a genetic counselor for a client whose mother has Huntington disease and is considering genetic testing. The client states, I know I want this test. Why do I need to see a counselor? How should the nurse respond?

a. The advanced practice nurse will advise you on whether you should have children or adopt.
  b. Genetic testing can be a stressful experience. Counseling can provide support and education throughout the process.
  c. There is no cure for this disease. The counselor will determine if there is any benefit to genetic testing.
  d. Genetic testing is expensive. The counselor will advocate for you and help you obtain financial support.

Question 5

A nurse obtains health histories when admitting clients to a medical-surgical unit. With which client should the nurse discuss predisposition genetic testing?

a. Middle-aged woman whose mother died at age 48 of breast cancer
  b. Young man who has all the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
  c. Pregnant woman whose father has sickle cell disease
  d. Middle-aged man of Eastern European Jewish ancestry
Read 216 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
siwarsiwar
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 480 words.