t
S
m
s
yani12x yani12x
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse is conducting an assessment of an older adult in a geriatric clinic. The patient states that he drinks two to three alcoholic beverages daily. The patient has multiple chronic comorbid con-ditions and is on five different medications.

Which of the following medications is the nurse concerned will interact with the alcohol? (Select all that apply.)
  a. Naproxen for pain
  b. Daily multivitamin
  c. Prozac for depression
  d. Celebrex for arthritis
  e. Toprol XL for hypertension

Question 2

The nurse is caring for an older client who experienced a hip replacement surgery 10 hours ago. Which intervention will help minimize this client's risk of developing delirium?

a. Requesting that staff offer fluids each time they interact with the client
  b. Medicating the client to best facilitate re-storative sleep
  c. Encouraging the client to remain still and thus minimize pain
  d. Suggesting that visitors are limited to fam-ily members only

Question 3

A nurse in a long-term care facility is approached by an older resident who is crying and states: You need to help me. The mean little men are in my room again. They are watching me from the corner and they are laughing at me.

Make them go away. The nurse accompanies the resident to the room and there is no one in the corner of the room. What is the best response by the nurse? (Select all that apply.)
  a. Yup, I see them. Let me call security to haul the men away.
  b. Can you tell me what you are so fright-ened of?
  c. I will do my best to keep you safe.
  d. I understand that you are very frightened and upset.
  e. You know that there is no one there. Stop carrying on like this.

Question 4

An older client in an adult day care program tells the nurse, I'm very stressed because another neighbor passed away. The most therapeutic response by the nurse is:

a. What do you mean by stressed'?
  b. Tell me what you did when your other neighbor passed away.
  c. Are you worrying about your own death?
  d. Let's get involved in some activities and not think about sad things.

Question 5

A nurse administers the Short Michigan Alcohol Screening Test Geriatric Version (S-MAST-G) to an older adult. The older adult receives a score of 2. The nurse knows that this score is in-dicative of:

a. no problem with alcohol.
  b. a problem with alcohol.
  c. a mild problem with alcohol.
  d. a severe problem with alcohol.

Question 6

When discussing electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) with an older, chronically depressed adult and his family, which statement will the nurse use to support this intervention? (Select all that apply.)

a. This treatment has been shown to be ef-fective in individuals who have not re-sponded well to antidepressant medica-tions.
  b. ECT has been found to be more effective in older adults than in younger adults.
  c. ECT is a safe intervention for those with psychotic ideation.
  d. While there may be some short-term memory loss, most individuals find that their memory comes back within a few days.
  e. ECT results in a more immediate re-sponse to symptoms.

Question 7

A nurse is assisting an older adult to cope with the loss of a spouse. The nurse encourages the person to use an emotion-focused coping strategy. Which of the following actions should the nurse take? (Select all that apply.)

a. Encourage the person to cry if he or she feels like it.
  b. Teach the person relaxation breathing ex-ercises.
  c. Encourage the person to make an action plan for the future.
  d. Suggest that the person reach out to his or her clergyperson.
  e. Suggest that the person attend a yoga class.

Question 8

A nurse who is caring for an older patient with bipolar disorder knows that the patient needs ad-ditional education when the patient states:

a. Bipolar disorder often results in a level-ing out' of symptoms as one ages.
  b. Relapses in bipolar disorder tend to be precipitated by medical problems.
  c. Older adults with bipolar disorder tend to be rapid cyclers'.
  d. Bipolar disorder is the most commonly diagnosed psychiatric disorder in older adults.

Question 9

How should the nurse reply when an older adult asks, How much alcohol is good for you?

a. Alcohol isn't good for you so avoid it as a general rule.
  b. Experts in the field recommend only one regular sized drink a day.
  c. It's been said that red wine has health benefits, but that doesn't mean drink a whole bottle.
  d. If you are only drinking on special occa-sions, limit yourself to two drinks.
Read 66 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
jasminejasmine
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 840 words.