r
d
l
a
courseherod courseherod
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An older adult's nutritional status is screened by a nurse using the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA). The older adult scores a score of 10 on the screening portion of the tool. The best ac-tion by the nurse is to:

a. refer the patient to a dietician.
  b. complete the assessment portion of the tool.
  c. conduct a 72-hour calorie count.
  d. initiate nutritional supplements between meals.

Question 2

A hospitalized older adult who recently had surgery and a wound infection postoperatively is noted to be losing weight despite consuming his meal trays and snacks. One reason that this might be occurring is:

a. an injury may trigger inflammatory medi-ators that increase metabolic rate and im-pair nutrient utilization.
  b. an injury may cause malabsorption of nu-trients.
  c. most hospitalized older patients do not consume adequate amounts of micro- and macronutrients.
  d. most hospitalized patients do not have accurate weights recorded upon admis-sion.

Question 3

A nursing student asks the instructor, Our textbook discussed the obesity paradox in older adults. I am not sure I understand; isn't obesity bad for everyone? The best response by the in-structor is:

a. While there is evidence that obesity in younger people lessens life expectancy, it remains unclear whether overweight and obesity are predictors of mortality in older adults.
  b. Obesity is usually not a concern in older adults, as most older people tend to weigh less than they did when they were young-er.
  c. Obesity is a concern in all age groups; however, over the past decade obesity in older adults has decreased.
  d. Obesity in older adults is less of a con-cern than we once thought; individuals over age 65 with a higher BMI have a lower mortality rate.

Question 4

An older adult asks a nurse, I hear a lot about limiting the amount of fat in my diet and eating a balanced diet. It is confusing. Can you help me understand what a balanced diet for me would be? The nurse bases a response on which of the following?

a. 10-15 of total calories should be from fat, 30-40 from carbohydrates, and 35-75 from protein
  b. 20-35 of total calories should be from fat, 45-65 from carbohydrates, and 10-35 from protein
  c. 45-65 of total calories should be from fat, 20-35 from carbohydrates, and 10-35 from protein
  d. 20-35 of total calories should be from fat, 10-25 from carbohydrates, and 50-75 from protein

Question 5

A nurse identifies that an older adult needs more education on nutritional needs when the older adult states the following:

a. Since I am an older person, I need more calories because my metabolic rate is slower
  b. Since I am an older person, I need fewer calories since my metabolic rate is slower
  c. Even though I am an older person, I still need the same amount of nutrients in or-der to be healthy
  d. Even though I am an older person, I still need to pay attention to my diet and ac-tivity levels

Question 6

An older patient tells a nurse. The nurse practitioner told me that these ugly purple bruises on my arms are called purpura and are due to fragile blood vessels. I still don't understand why this happens to me.

The nurse responds based on the knowledge that: (Select all that apply.)
  a. purpura is due to normal age-related changes.
  b. the incidence of purpura increases with age.
  c. purpura is a precancerous skin condition.
  d. individuals who take blood thinners are especially prone to purpura.
  e. individuals prone to purpura should make sure that affected areas are open to the air.

Question 7

An older adult who is within a normal weight range asks a nurse, I have heard that it is im-portant to limit the amount of fats in my diet, but I don't know how much I should be taking in daily. Can you help me? The best response by the nurse is:

a. Someone of your age needs to limit fats.
  b. Since you are at your ideal weight, you should limit your daily fat grams to half your weight.
  c. Fat intake will depend on the presence of any cardiac issues.
  d. Read food labels well and focus your diet on low-fat foods.
Read 45 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
MachingunManiacMachingunManiac
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 640 words.