t
i
r
r
lisandra777 lisandra777
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A parent conference is scheduled to discuss a student's excessive absences and failing grades. During the conference, the teacher should plan to:

a. Start the conference with a list of all of the most pressing concerns about the student and make it clear that a huge problem exists.
  b. Start with the student's positive attributes, discuss concerns, and then end with a constructive plan to address the issues.
  c. Demand an explanation for the student's absences.
  d. Focus only on the failing grades since they are most important.

Question 2...

During an informal discussion with the mother of a 4-year-old, she tells the child care provider, I hated school and never did well so I really don't expect my kids to like school or get good grades. Which of the following responses is most likely to support the parent in helping her child succeed?

a. You're right. I've seen that academic success or lack of it runs in families.
  b. Hmm. It sounds like you're worried about her.
  c. Let's work together. There are some relatively easy things we can do to support her success in school, so I'm going to share a list of tips with you.
  d. Let's wait and see. Maybe your child will surprise you and do much better in school than you did.

Question 3...

A mother and her 3-year-old daughter had a conversation at the grocery store about their favorite foods. After they got home, the child pointed to pictures of these items in the newspaper ads. Together, they cut out some pictures and pasted them onto recycled paper. The Mom then printed the names of each item and they stapled the pages into a book. What would you say about this activity?

a. It is placing undue pressure on the child.
  b. It is helping to provide a print-rich environment and build vocabulary.
  c. It does not have much value educationally speaking because it used ordinary materials.
  d. This mother does not understand how to support literacy.

Question 4...

A three-year-old has memorized a favorite picture book and proudly shares it with her aunt. Afterwards, the aunt comments that the child wasn't really reading, and suggests that the family is misguided in encouraging this behavior. Which of the following is an appropriate response from an early childhood educator?

a. I agree. They seem clueless about what counts as reading.
  b. They would accomplish so much more by using flash cards to teach her vocabulary.
  c. When she starts preschool in the fall, they are going to be in for a shock about what is expected.
  d. Actually, memorizing a book is an important first step in learning to read.

Question 5...

While reading Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, the teacher pauses before reading the second word of a rhyming pair. Students identify possible rhyming words that could complete the sentence. This strategy would help students develop:

a. Semantics
  b. Syntax
  c. Pragmatics
  d. Phonemic awareness
Read 42 times
3 Replies