t
S
m
s
s.l.green s.l.green
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Jacquelyn's mother is a strict disciplinarian and when she volunteers in your classroom, she often is more rigid and demanding with the students than you are. One day, you hear her say to a Maurice, If you don't stop doing that right now, I'm going to make your life at school miserable. What is the most sensible thing to do in this situation?

a. Redirect Jacquelyn's mother to work with a different group of students, and let Maurice know that you won't let her be unfair to him.
  b. Ask Jacquelyn's mother if she could spend some time reorganizing the files in the back of the room and making some copies in the workroom down the hall.
  c. Wait for Jacquelyn's mother to leave the room, then say to the students, Don't worry. I won't let Jacquelyn's mother go overboard with you guys. Let's just agree to ignore it when she says things like that.
  d. Let Jacquelyn's mother stay for the rest of the day, but then call her and tell her that while you appreciate the time she's spent with your class, you don't need her assistance any more.

Ques. 2

To Kohn, even the New Disciplines such as Canter and Canter's Assertive Discipline, Driekurs's Democratic Teaching, Curwin's and Mendler's Discipline with Dignity, and Kounin's Instructional Management are driven by a ________ set of beliefs in which it is difficult to distinguish the so-called logical consequences from the old-fashioned punishments.

Fill in the blank(s) with correct word

Ques. 3

Mrs. Wong is the parent of Tran, a student in your class. When you ask for parent volunteers to help in the classroom, Mrs. Wong says, I'd really like to, but I work from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm each day, and I can't leave the office at lunchtime. What would the text authors recommend you say in response?

a. Oh, that's too bad. It would have been great to have you in class. Maybe you could come in if you get a day off.
  b. I bet your boss would understand and let you have some time off if you told her it was something for school, and then you could come in and help.
  c. Tran is going to be so disappointed. So many other parents can come in during the day that I'm afraid he'll feel left out.
  d. Well, how would you feel about creating some classroom activities for us if I can send the materials home for you to work on in the evenings?

Ques. 4

________ discipline focuses on developing caring, respectful relationships among all members of the classroom community, and encourages problem solving to promote student responsibility and competence.

Ques. 5

Which of the following is least likely to be a reason a teacher chooses not to do home visits to meet the families of his students?

a. The logistics of home visits (time, transportation, scheduling) can be complicated.
  b. There can be issues of liability and personal safety involved in home visits.
  c. Teachers doing home visits are afraid they'll see evidence of child abuse or neglect and be required to report the family to the authorities.
  d. Differences in beliefs and values between the teacher and the families may come to light in uncomfortable ways during home visits.

Ques. 6

There are a number of elements in the CDP, primary of which is the creation of a caring ________ which satisfies the need of students so they bond with it and internalize its values and goals.

Ques. 7

Raj is one of your more challenging students, and you have had multiple contacts with his caregivers. They are defensive of Raj and critical of your methods. One day, Raj argues with another student, and the student hits Raj. Raj punches the other child in the arm, causing a bruise. When you call his caregivers to ask them to come in for a conference, the adult on the phone agrees to come in, but says, I've always told Raj that if someone hits him, he'd better give back as good as he got. Given what you've read in this chapter, which of the following statements is most likely to be true?

a. Raj's caregivers will likely come to the conference with a plan in mind to help Raj overcome his impulsive tendencies.
  b. Raj's caregivers would probably have had a very different attitude if you had invested more time in building a relationship with them.
  c. Raj and his caregivers likely have a stormy relationship that is characterized by frequent physical abuse.
  d. Raj may very well have a sense of hopelessness and anger about school because it's so different than his home life, and his achievement may suffer.

Ques. 8

The CDP developed as a ________ ________ approach to cooperative learning and as an attempt to integrate sociomoral and academic learning through activities that appeal to students' interests, develop their understanding, and build community.

Read 1995 times
19 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
dlsmith88dlsmith88
wrote...
Rep: 6 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free