t
S
m
s
Vertzie Vertzie
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Which one of the following is the best example of qualitative research?

A) Comparing average achievement test scores for students at three different schools
  B) Finding out how long it takes 6-year-olds to assemble challenging picture puzzles
  C) Interviewing adolescents about the nature of their relationships with other students
  D) Examining the number of days students were absent from school to identify potential school dropouts

Ques. 2

Mrs. Estapa's students are incredibly well-behaved  quiet, disciplined, and friendly. They have learned their teacher's rules and procedures and rarely exhibit misbehavior of any kind, though their work is often incomplete or sloppily done. When you observed Mrs. E's class, you noticed that students worked slowly and somewhat apathetically. At lunch one day, you hear another teacher say, That Mrs. Estapa is a genius. I am so impressed by her ability to manage her classroom; I want to learn to monitor the classroom as effectively as she does.. You think to yourself,

a. Now that she has them following her rules consistently, she can begin to work on their motivation..
  b. I want to know what system of incentives she uses; teachers really only get that sort of compliance if they are utilizing a complicated reward system..
  c. Having students comply with your expectations is only half the monitoring battle. Mrs. Estapa seems to be overlooking the fact that student involvement in learning activities is critical to student mastery of new material..
  d. What does it matter how well-behaved students are if they aren't learning anything? I think my classroom, where students misbehave frequently but do enjoy their work is probably a better model of effective monitoring..

Ques. 3

Mr. Blackmore says, I've heard the term active eyes' before with regard to monitoring student behavior, but I'm not sure exactly what it meAnswer: What does it mean to you?

a. Teachers' eyes are always on their students  they can't ever look away from the whole group, because as soon as they do, misbehavior or disengagement will likely occur.
  b. Teachers monitor behavior by seating themselves where they can see all students and then make a conscious effort to scan the room frequently, checking each student's behavior and task engagement.
  c. As part of their classroom procedures, teachers make sure students know that they are expected to make eye contact with the teacher regularly; in this way, the teacher knows the student is still aware of his/her authority in the classroom.
  d. Teachers should sneak a peek now and then to make sure that all students are in compliance with rules and procedures.

Ques. 4

William is trying to calculate the price of his groceries in his head. He has four apples for 35 each, five potatoes for 15 each, and three cake mixes for 2.25 each. He begins by thinking to himself, Let's see, four times 35 is what? Two times 35 is 70, and then two times 70 is 1.40. And then what do I do next? Oh, yes, I need to know what five times fifteen equals. I can't remember, but let's see if I can figure it out.... From the perspective of psychology, William may have trouble solving the problem because:

A) His working memory capacity may be insufficient to hold and process all the information.
  B) He is representing the problem incorrectly.
  C) He is demonstrating a mental set with regard to his knowledge of multiplication facts.
  D) He is using an inappropriate heuristic.

Ques. 5

Disadvantages of referring students to the office for misbehavior include all of the following except:

a. some students are more likely to be referred than others, even for the same infractions.
  b. teachers may subtly communicate that they are unwilling or unable to address discipline problems within the classroom.
  c. the process is generally onerous.
  d. the process depends on others for its effectiveness.

Ques. 6

When cognitive psychologists talk about the process of putting things in memory, they often use the term:

A) Retrieval.
  B) Selectivity.
  C) Inference-drawing.
  D) Storage.

Ques. 7

Karen is a talker. You've taken steps to seat her around other students who have more self-control, but she still babbles incessantly. The other students don't talk with her, but they DO complain actively about her talking. One day, as Karen is blathering on, you hear Janelle and Lena's raised voices as they tell Karen she's driving them crazy and that she really needs to shut up. This situation can be classified as a/an

a. nonproblem.
  b. minor problem.
  c. major problem but limited in scope and effects.
  d. escalating or spreading problem.

Ques. 8

As Chalonte reads her science textbook, she encounters the word ecology for the first time and uses the context to figure out what the word means. Given what we know about how the brain functions, we could reasonably assume that most of her mental work is being done:

A) In her right hemisphere.
  B) In many parts of her brain.
  C) In the occipital lobes, located at the back of her brain.
  D) In a part of the cortex known as Wernicke's area, above the left ear.

Ques. 9

Max storms into the room. I left my math book at Dad's house again Friday, and I don't have it today I hate it that my parents got divorced and that I have to live sometimes with Mom and sometimes with Dad It gets me all messed up and I forget things. I wish things could just go back to the way they used to be An effective empathic response in this case would be

a. Oh, Max. Don't come in here with such a negative attitudeit spills over onto all the rest of us and makes us feel bad..
  b. You're going to have to try harder to remember your book..
  c. Oh, you poor thing. I know how sad it is when a family structure changes. In fact, my parents got divorced, too..
  d. I know it's hard to get used to the change, but I'm confident that you can do it. Would you like to talk about ways you can get around this problem?

Ques. 10

Weston is working on a science project and wants to make his papier-mch volcano erupt. He remembers that when his mother combined vinegar and baking soda while following a recipe, the batter foamed up as she added the vinegar. So he tries mixing vinegar and baking soda in his volcano, and the mixture bubbles. Weston is showing:

A) General transfer.
  B) Intuitive transfer.
  C) Specific transfer.
  D) Negative transfer.

Ques. 11

Nathan has been playing golf with his parents for many years. When he goes out for the school baseball team, he has trouble hitting the ball because he keeps confusing the swing of the bat with how he swings a golf club. Nathan's difficulty reflects:

A) Negative transfer.
  B) Positive transfer.
  C) General transfer.
  D) Procedural transfer.

Ques. 12

Three of the following are examples of learned behavior. Given the textbook's definition of learning, which behavior is most likely not an example of learned behavior?

A) Abigail cries because of a painful ear infection.
  B) After many hours of heated debate with a friend, Brian begins to modify his religious beliefs.
  C) Cara suddenly recognizes how the division fact 24  4 = 6 is related to the multiplication fact 6 x 4 = 24.
  D) Ever since David was bitten by a German shepherd two years ago, he runs away from them when he sees them.
Textbook 
Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas To Guide Effective Teaching

Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas To Guide Effective Teaching

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 2280 times
13 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
TingyaTingya
wrote...
Rep: 8 0