S
m
s
Aliya1 Aliya1
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
5 years ago
#3. Bloom Syndrome
Bloom syndrome is a rare genetic disorder. It is characterized by a short stature and a long narrow face with prominent nose and ears. There is also an increased sensitivity to light. People who have the disorder often develop rashes on their face, forearms, and hands when they have been exposed to the sun. In addition, these people often suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) and have a higher chance of developing cancer.

bloom syndrome
chromosomal location

The cause of this genetic disorder is a mutation in the BLM gene located on chromosome 15. The immediate effect of this mutation is that there is a defect in the functioning of the DNA helicase enzyme. The location of this gene on the chromosome is indicated above.

Below is a pedigree showing the genealogy of the BLM mutation in one family. What is the type of inheritance that causes this disorder? Justify your answer with two points. (2 marks)
bloom syndrome mutation

here are the images that go with this question. if you can please help me out with this i can answer the next 2 on my own.

#4.What would be the effect of this mutation on DNA replication? What stage of the cell cycle would be most affected?
#5.Note the location of the centromere in the diagram above. Knowing how the distance from the centromere affects the likelihood of crossing over, explain whether a Bloom syndrome trait has a high or low chance of crossing over.
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 276 times
8 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Top Poster
5 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 210 words and 1 attached file(s).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.