l
t
S
m
s
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following image, I would like to know on how moon phrase affect light scattering on earth's atmosphere?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 675 times
35 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
5 years ago
good question

As light passes by the Earth's atmosphere, short wavelengths, like blue, are scattered. By the time light finishes its trip to the moon, only longer wavelengths, like red, remain. This is why the moon turns red during an eclipse!

here's a video to illustrate that effect

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
Credits: 40
Rep: 0 0
3 hours ago
good question

As light passes by the Earth's atmosphere, short wavelengths, like blue, are scattered. By the time light finishes its trip to the moon, only longer wavelengths, like red, remain. This is why the moon turns red during an eclipse!

@vernonb

I don't think this answers the question, though good info. The question is, do the lunar phases affect light scattering on Earth.

@oem7110

I did some research and couldn't find a connection between light scatter and lunar phases.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
Hi oem,

Did you find any connection between the lunar phases and light scatter or was this something you hypothesized yourself?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following image, does Earth receive more red light full moon (night time)?  
Does Moon have atmosphere to scatter more red light to Earth during new moon (daytime)?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
According to the video, earth's atmosphere blocks out all other wave lengths except for red. Earth doesn't receive more red than green, for example, it's because green wave length is absorbed while red isn't.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
I would like to know on whether Moon has atmosphere or not.
Does Moon have atmosphere to scatter more red light to Earth during new moon (daytime)?

Do you have any suggestions?

Post Merge: 5 years ago

"Until recently, most everyone accepted the conventional wisdom that the moon has virtually no atmosphere. Just as the discovery of water on the moon transformed our textbook knowledge of Earth's nearest celestial neighbor, recent studies confirm that our moon does indeed have an atmosphere consisting of some unusual gases, including sodium and potassium, which are not found in the atmospheres of Earth, Mars or Venus. It's an infinitesimal amount of air when compared to Earth's atmosphere. At sea level on Earth, we breathe in an atmosphere where each cubic centimeter contains 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules; by comparison the lunar atmosphere has less than 1,000,000 molecules in the same volume. That still sounds like a lot, but it is what we consider to be a very good vacuum on Earth. In fact, the density of the atmosphere at the moon's surface is comparable to the density of the outermost fringes of Earth's atmosphere where the International Space Station orbits."

Ref: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html

Referring to above articles, I would like to know on what light spectrum is absorbed by sodium and potassium molecules on moon's atmosphere.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
Conventionally we say that the moon doesn't have an atmosphere, even though something might except but at infinitesimally lower levels. Ask any science person and they'll tell you the same thing.

Sodium's spectrum is 588 to 589 -- orange.

Potassium is in the lower 500's nm.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
Is there any web source to find color of absorption spectrum for different chemical elements? such as carbon dioxide, any elements from periodic table ...

wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
I'll join the chat!

http://chemistry.bd.psu.edu/jircitano/periodic4.html

I found this, but it doesn't state the wavelength in nanometers, which kind of sucks.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
Try this?

https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I find a general Period Table for Spectra, but it shows in image instead only.  I need number in wavelength instead of image.

http://www.fieldtestedsystems.com/ptable/

Do you find any more resource in number format for element's wavelength?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
I'm thinking the reason why one doesn't exist is because some elements give off more than one light, so it'd be hard to make with numbers.

If you search Na in this link, you'll see everywhere in literature that has proven its wavelength. It's a lot more data than you need, but it's very accurate information.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Your given web site is not user friendly, I would like to know on how you know that Sodium's spectrum is 588 to 589 -- orange, there are so many Na as shown below images

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1126 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?