a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on any related materials to calculate Maori fishing calendar

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 252 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
This is my first time reading about this and here's what I found.

There is a thing called the Maori Fishing Calendar.  It is published in various forms in New Zealand. The Maori (and many other Pacific peoples) found that on certain days of the lunar cycle, fishing was better than at other times.

In the illustration above, the graph shows that the best time to catch fish is from three to five in the morning.  Then there's a series of lulls and activity throughout the day.  If you only have an couple of hours to spend, you may prefer to go out at three in the afternoon rather than seven in the morning. Many people are quite convinced that, on balance, you will catch more "fish per unit effort" on a day when the Maori calendar predicts good fishing than on other days, but the model is NOT perfect.

It's said that the moon's gravitational pull directly affects the animal's appetite.  When the moon is overhead, for some reason, it makes fish hungry.  When the moon is underfoot, it also seems to make fish hungry.  This is true for both fresh and salt water fish.  The gravitational pull of the sun must have a similar, if lesser effect.  So, when the sun and the moon are 'up' or 'down' at roughly the same time - as happens near new and full moon - fishing should be the most productive.  Some people say the hour around moonrise and moonset have a similar, if lesser, stimulating effect.

In addition to the effect of gravity, light must play a good part in the ability to catch fish.  If the fish can't see the bait, it is unlikely to find it.  Many predatory fish have eyes that see better in low light than the eyes of their prey.  This makes dawn and dusk two valuable contributors to good fishing.  Bright moonlight is probably similar from the perspective of the fish, so full moon nights are also favoured fishing times.

Finally, a good current is helpful in carrying the food supply (and your ground bait) towards the fish.

Source https://www.wtides.com/fishing.htm

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
It's said that the moon's gravitational pull directly affects the animal's appetite.  When the moon is overhead, for some reason, it makes fish hungry.  When the moon is underfoot, it also seems to make fish hungry.

I think that above statement is wrong, based on discussing this topic so far, when the moon is overhead or underfoot, it belongs to high barometric pressure period, fish should not be hungry at this moment.

"After the rising barometer hits a high point, the skies are clear with overall bright light conditions. During this time, fish activity is generally slower, as the fish find cover or swim into deeper water. "

Do you have any comments?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
The information provided is could be wrong, it's not verified.

I think the second quote comes from the idea that high pressure is generally associated with nice weather, while low pressure is generally associated with cloudy, rainy, or snowy weather.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
When the moon change from rising to overhead and start falling, what can this activity affect barometric pressure? Is there any articles related to this issues?

Fish could be more active, but not confirm on whether fish is hungry or not.

Many people agrees that they are easier to catch fish during this period.

Do you have any idea to explain this issues from physics or biology viewpoints?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
When the moon change from rising to overhead and start falling, what can this activity affect barometric pressure? Is there any articles related to this issues?

The article mentions gravitational pull, I don't think the rise and fall affects barometric pressure at all -- I haven't read anything about that nor can I find any legitimate sources.

Is it because the bright conditions cause small fish to hide away from predators, or do they feed at night in the brighter light? Or, is it the effect of the moon's gravitational pull? Nobody knows, only theories exist.

There is a variety of such publications, and surprisingly they do not all agree on which days of the month are best to go fishing. But generally the two weeks around the new moon are better than the other two weeks.

That's the best of my knowledge...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Glad I could contribute, make sure to show us pictures of the fish you catch!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  930 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?