r
d
l
a
Aliya1 Aliya1
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, Aliya1
#13.A sample of raw ground beef initially contained 113 E. Coli bacteria. After six hours, there are 139,713 cells in the sample.
What is the growth rate of the E. coli population?
Express your answer using scientific notation in the form of x.yz x 10d bacteria/hr. 
x,y,z,d

#14.In 2017, 16 bison were released into Elk Island National Park. Within the next five years, 49 more bison will be released into the 1,200 km2 area. During the study period, it is expected that 45 calves will be born and 13 bison will die or be removed from the study area.
What is the expected per capita growth rate of the bison population during this study period?
Express your answer rounded to two decimal places. If the population is decreasing indicate this with a negative sign. 

Post Merge: 5 years ago

the 1,200 km2 area should be 1,200 km^2 area instead of this"1,200 km2 area"
Read 815 times
10 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
5 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 290 words.

Related Topics

Aliya1 Author
wrote...
5 years ago
That's what I kept doing yesterday but I thought it was wrong. I'm giving you the biology 30 data booklet first page has all the formulas for the last unit.
Source  https://education.alberta.ca/media/160189/b30_databooklet_ft_web.pdf
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Wish you had told me about that a while ago

According to the link, cgr = ∆ N / N ... Per capita growth rate = change in number divided by initial population size

∆N = (factors that increase pop.) – (factors that decrease pop.)

∆N = (45 + 49) – (13) = 81 / 16 = 5.06

This makes more sense, am I right or wrong?
Aliya1 Author
wrote...
5 years ago
hi bio_man, that makes a lot of sense now. Sorry i wasn't at home before... I just got back a few mins ago. Again, I apologize for being late, thank you for getting back with me Wink Face
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
As long as it's consistent with what you're learning, no we know how to move forward answering these things
Answer rejected by topic starter
Aliya1 Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, Aliya1
i think you are right but will double check this with my teacher and will let you know

ahaha yeah Wink Face

i have spoken with my teacher about question #13 she told me to write out what is given and then find the correct formula. Here is what i did. Given= Ni-initial # which is 113
Nf-final # which is 139713
t=6 hours
gr=?
gr=∆ N/t
gr=(139713 -113)/6
gr=23266.66667
they want it in scientific notation so 2.326x10^4 or 2.4x10^4? i suck at the scientific notation parts not sure why lol but is this correct?
#14. i got the same answer as you so i think it's correct.
wrote...
3 years ago
thank you
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you
wrote...
3 years ago
nice
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1080 People Browsing
 112 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?