a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following video, it does not mention on why violet bends more with slower velocity, I would like to know on why red is faster than violet in term of velocity, should light speed of different color be constant?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Read 235 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
He mentions:

velocity = frequency \(\times\) wavelength. (very important to answering your question)

should light speed of different color be constant?

He also mentions that the refractive index \(\mu\) depends on the medium that the light is passing through -- water droplets versus air -- velocity depends on this.

A prism works because the different colors of light travel at different speeds inside the glass. Because the colors of light travel at different speeds, they get bent by different amounts and come out all spread out instead of mixed up. Violet travels the slowest so it is on the bottom (least bent) and red travels the fastest so is on the top (most bent). The other colors are somewhere in between. When the air is full of water, like after a rainstorm, the water droplets act like a prism and can make a rainbow. Rainbows are circular in shape because the prisms (raindrops) that created them are spherical.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on why violet velocity is slower then red within the same media, what happen within media to slow down violet, that issue is not mentioned.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
what happen within media to slow down violet, that issue is not mentioned.

General answer, the light reflects off the molecules that make up the medium. This is what accounts for differences in refraction index.

I would like to know on why violet velocity is slower then red within the same media,

velocity = frequency × wavelength. (very important to answering your question)

The wavelength influences speed according to this formula λ (wavelength) = v/freq

With this formula, it is important to remember that the frequency of the wave is set by whatever is driving the oscillation in the medium.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Hi oem7110,

Are there any more questions related to this topic?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1355 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352