m
s
Aliya1 Aliya1
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
5 years ago
Use the following info to answer #5.
Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disorder that affects 1 in 3 000 newborns with Caucasian background. It causes thick mucus build up in various organs and can cause damages and problems in respiratory and digestive systems.
#5.If two individuals are carriers of the cystic fibrosis allele, what is the probability that they would have a girl without cystic fibrosis? Show all your work (including the Punnett square) and express your answer as a value between 0 and 1 rounded to two decimal places. (3 marks)

Use the following information to answer the next four questions.

Zebra Mussel
Zebra mussel population growth in the Great Lakes is a growing concern. Zebra mussels are not native to North America, and due to their ability to rapidly multiply, they have been depleting the food sources for many of the native fish species in the Great Lakes. They are also associated with causing toxic algal blooms, preventing sunlight and oxygen access to many plant and fish life in the lakes.

Three years ago, a 5 km3 section of the Great Lakes was studied and approximately 89 000 zebra mussel colonies were found.

Each colony produced 120 colonies over a three-year period. However, only 2% of the new colonies survived past the first year.

Over the three years, there were 97 000 dead colonies that were washed ashore in the Great Lakes.

Many of the zebra mussels attach themselves to hard surfaces, such as boats and trailers. It was estimated that approximately 85 000 colonies attached themselves to boats and left the area. Many of these zebra mussels died, but some managed to hitchhike on boat equipment and enter other waterbodies. Negligible numbers of zebra mussels migrated from other lakes.

#11.Calculate the change in population size.
Show all your work and round your answer to the nearest whole number.
#12.Calculate the population growth rate.
Show all your work and express your answer rounded to two decimal places.
#13.Calculate the per capita growth rate over the three year period.
Show all your work and express your answer as a value between 0 and 1 rounded to two decimal places.
#14.Calculate the population density at the end of the third year.
Show all your work and express your answer as a whole number.
Below is a link to the biology 30 data booklet first page is where all of the formulas needed to answer these questions:
https://education.alberta.ca/media/160189/b30_databooklet_ft_web.pdf
I understand that this is supposed to be only 2 posts per topic but i am running out of credits and i really need help with these 5 questions. Sorry about this Wink Face Thank you so much and have a good evening
Read 971 times
12 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
Use the following info to answer #5.
Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disorder that affects 1 in 3 000 newborns with Caucasian background. It causes thick mucus build up in various organs and can cause damages and problems in respiratory and digestive systems.
#5.If two individuals are carriers of the cystic fibrosis allele, what is the probability that they would have a girl without cystic fibrosis? Show all your work (including the Punnett square) and express your answer as a value between 0 and 1 rounded to two decimal places. (3 marks)

R   r
R   RR   Rr
r   Rr   rr

3/4 chance being born without the disease.
1/2 chance being female/male.

3/4 * 1/2 = 3/8 = 0.375 = 0.38

Will answer the next soon...

Aliya1 Author
wrote...
5 years ago
hi bio_man, ohhh okay. Thank you so much for getting back with me on this one Wink Face
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
5 years ago
The second question isn't making sense me.

We start with 89 000

Then, in 3 years, each colony multiplies by 120. That's equal to 10 680 000.

Then they say 2% survived the first year. What about the second? Third? If there's only a 2% growth, we can multiply

10 680 000 * 2% = 213 600.

Then, they say 97 000 died, and 85 000 went away. That means there are less zebra fish after 3 years!

213 600 - 97 000 - 85 000 = 31600

I don't think I can answer those questions if I'm not understanding what's highlighted.

Aliya1 Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, Aliya1
i didn't understand it either and how i did it my teacher told me it is incorrect. I am sorry, they don't say anything about the second or third and i copied and pasted the information straight from my assignment
Post Merge: 5 years ago

i am not sure if this helps you, but this is how i did #11-14. Even though it is done wrong i just wanted to show you in case you can still help me out these.
Ni=89000
t=3 yrs
birth=120- not number of births but number of per colony over 3 years
death=97000
emigration=85000
A=5km^3
∆N=Nf-Ni
∆N=(120+0)-(97000+85000)
∆N=-181880
∆N=-18200 rounded answer  i was told by my teacher that 120 is the per colony over 3 years
she told me to go back and re do the change in N because it is incorrect.
#12.gr=∆N/∆t
gr=-181880/3yrs
gr=-60626667
- because #11 was wrong it affected my answer for #12 -14
#13. cgr=∆N/Ni
cgr=-181880/89000
cgr=-2.043595506
#14.Dp=N/A
Dp=89000/5km^3
Dp=____17800______ zebra mussels / km^3

* i was told by my teacher to change the 'change in N for #11 and use the final # instead of initial and use the Nf-Ni formula to find the change in N
Answer verified by a subject expert
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Top Poster
5 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free