t
i
r
r
sealamanato sealamanato
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
In an experiment, the strength of a neural stimulus and the resulting muscle contraction are compared. A single motor neuron that synapses with one muscle fiber is observed in this experiment. One end of the muscle fiber is attached to a mass. The following data was obtained from the experiment.

Number of Trials     Strength of Stimulus (mV)     Mass Lifted by Muscle Contraction (g)
 1                                 20                                                  0
 2                                40                                                  0
 3                                60                                                  50
 4                                80                                                  Not Tested
 5                                100                                                Not Tested
 6                                120                                                 50

a)Does the data provide enough evidence of the value for the threshold potential? Why or why not? -Would the value be 50? because the stimulus has to be more positive than the threshold potential? or would it not available because they tested the mass that is lifted?)

b)A student said that at 180 mV of stimulus, it'll be expected that 100 g mass is lifted by the muscle fiber. Yes or no?-Would it be false, because without the data for trials 4 and 5, it would be hard to determine?)

c)How can you modify the experiment so that the mass lifted by the muscle contraction can increase each trial?-this I dont know how to answer it, I dont know how the mass lifted by the muscle contraction would increase for each trial.

Post Merge: 3 years ago

so for a would it be that the data doesn't provide enough evidence of the value for the threshold potential because data is missing for trials 4 and 5, so, it'll be hard to know whether or not that 50 g was also lifted in trials 4 and 5, though threshold potential doesn't change.
Post Merge: 3 years ago

so for b, is it false, because for trials 3-6, the mass was 50, would the mass remain the same? I know that the stimulus has to be more positive than the threshold potential in order for the stimulus to fire a neuron.
Read 792 times
4 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

sealamanato Author
wrote...
3 years ago
sealamanato, have you looked at the answers provided here: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=63995.0 https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=86373.0 Please let me know if you need any clarification!

For a, I still don't understand it, would it be that the data does show evidence of the value of the threshold potential? Because the muscles moved 50 g when the strength of the stimulus was 60, I know that the stimulus has to be greater than the threshold potential to be able to fire a neuron, though they didn't test stimulus 60 and 100, but 120 was 50 g. Stimulus doesn't increase the amount of mass that is lifted by muscle contraction? Does that mean the threshold potential has to be below 60 and above 40. I feel like that the data doesn't provide enough evidence of the value of the threshold potential, because its easy to see that the muscle moved when a stimulus of 60 was applied, but its hard to know exactly the threshold potential because we don't know what a stimulus of 50 or 55 does

for b, so it means that the mass lifted by the muscle fiber is not 100 g, because the threshold potential doesn't change, but would it be able to do 100 g if it reaches action potential?

C is still very confusing for me, because I don't think that muscle contraction could increase every trial.

Answer rejected by topic starter
sealamanato Author
wrote...
3 years ago
sealamanato, have you looked at the answers provided here: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=63995.0 https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=86373.0 Please let me know if you need any clarification!
For a, I still don't understand it, would it be that the data does show evidence of the value of the threshold potential? Because the muscles moved 50 g when the strength of the stimulus was 60, I know that the stimulus has to be greater than the threshold potential to be able to fire a neuron, though they didn't test stimulus 60 and 100, but 120 was 50 g. Stimulus doesn't increase the amount of mass that is lifted by muscle contraction? Does that mean the threshold potential has to be below 60 and above 40. I feel like that the data doesn't provide enough evidence of the value of the threshold potential, because its easy to see that the muscle moved when a stimulus of 60 was applied, but its hard to know exactly the threshold potential because we don't know what a stimulus of 50 or 55 does for b, so it means that the mass lifted by the muscle fiber is not 100 g, because the threshold potential doesn't change, but would it be able to do 100 g if it reaches action potential? C is still very confusing for me, because I don't think that muscle contraction could increase every trial.

I understand a now, though it seems very confusing because threshold potential is usually between -50 and -55, if the strength of the stimulus in the table is positive (doesn't indicate if it's positive or negative though) that means the threshold potential has to be positive then? Which seems unlikely because it has to be negative right? And the stimulus has to be more positive than the threshold potential.

For b, it still doesn't make sense for me, it seems that 50 g is the max amount the motor neuron can lift. I know that action potential remains the same in a neuron, so does that mean that it's wrong that it can't lift 100 g at 180 mV of stimulus?

For c, it just doesn't mean possible, it doesn't seem that muscle contraction can increase every trial.

(I only have less than a day to finish these questions)
sealamanato Author
wrote...
3 years ago
For a, I still don't understand it, would it be that the data does show evidence of the value of the threshold potential? Because the muscles moved 50 g when the strength of the stimulus was 60, I know that the stimulus has to be greater than the threshold potential to be able to fire a neuron, though they didn't test stimulus 60 and 100, but 120 was 50 g. Stimulus doesn't increase the amount of mass that is lifted by muscle contraction? Does that mean the threshold potential has to be below 60 and above 40. I feel like that the data doesn't provide enough evidence of the value of the threshold potential, because its easy to see that the muscle moved when a stimulus of 60 was applied, but its hard to know exactly the threshold potential because we don't know what a stimulus of 50 or 55 does for b, so it means that the mass lifted by the muscle fiber is not 100 g, because the threshold potential doesn't change, but would it be able to do 100 g if it reaches action potential? C is still very confusing for me, because I don't think that muscle contraction could increase every trial.

I understand a now, though it seems very confusing because threshold potential is usually between -50 and -55, if the strength of the stimulus in the table is positive (doesn't indicate if it's positive or negative though) that means the threshold potential has to be positive then? Which seems unlikely because it has to be negative right? And the stimulus has to be more positive than the threshold potential.

I understand B now, just need a better understanding on A and C

For c, it just doesn't mean possible, it doesn't seem that muscle contraction can increase every trial.

(I only have less than a day to finish these questions)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1115 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204