s
r
d
l
a
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following article, I would like to know on why cloud at different height levels perform differently on solar radiation, is there any physical theory behind this scenario?

"Low, thick clouds primarily reflect solar radiation and cool the surface of the Earth. High, thin clouds primarily transmit incoming solar radiation; at the same time, they trap some of the outgoing infrared radiation emitted by the Earth and radiate it back downward, thereby warming the surface of the Earth."

Ref : https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Clouds

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 261 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
I found a perfect article for you.

Here's what it's about:

In this review we show, summarize, and compare several works that deal with the effect of clouds on UV radiation. Specifically, works reviewed here approach the issue from the empirical point of view: Some relationship between measured UV radiation in cloudy conditions and cloud‐related information is given in each work. Basically, there are two groups of methods: techniques that are based on observations of cloudiness (either from human observers or by using devices such as sky cameras) and techniques that use measurements of broadband solar radiation as a surrogate for cloud observations. Some techniques combine both types of information. Comparison of results from different works is addressed through using the cloud modification factor (CMF) defined as the ratio between measured UV radiation in a cloudy sky and calculated radiation for a cloudless sky. Typical CMF values for overcast skies range from 0.3 to 0.7, depending both on cloud type and characteristics. Despite this large dispersion of values corresponding to the same cloud cover, it is clear that the cloud effect on UV radiation is 15–45% lower than the cloud effect on total solar radiation. The cloud effect is usually a reducing effect, but a significant number of works report an enhancement effect (that is increased UV radiation levels at the surface) due to the presence of clouds. The review concludes with some recommendations for future studies aimed to further analyze the cloud effects on UV radiation.

The link is https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2004RG000155 I didn't get a chance to read it, but it explains what you need. If you need a better summary, reply back

- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I would look into it.
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1086 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204