i
r
r
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
http://blogs.plos.org/speakeasyscience/files/2011/02/platypus_zoom.jpeg

The Platypus is stranger than you think.

Platypuses have no nipples.  After the young hatch, the mother oozes milk from the pores all over her body.

The male platypus has a poison barb on the inside of its hind legs.  The purpose of this weapon is uncertain.

While often compared to the beaver, the platypus is only about 20 inches in length -- more comparable to the size of the muskrat.

The Platypus bill is actually just an elongated muzzle covered with much the same kind of tough skin found on a dog's nose.  This bill contains an electrically-sensitive organ that can detect the electrical signatures of the small aquatic animals it eats.
wrote...
12 years ago
The praying mantis has excellent eyesight and can see up to about 50 feet away.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
The praying mantis has excellent eyesight and can see up to about 50 feet away.

Where did you read this from, that's freaking cool! lol
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
The coldest temperature ever recorded in North America was -63oC at Snag, Yukon on February 3, 1947.
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
50 feet away

Are you sure?
wrote...
12 years ago
Hummingbird is the only bird that can fly upside down.

and backwards!
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
Platypuses have no nipples.  After the young hatch, the mother oozes milk from the pores all over her body.

Aaa... so they mammary glands, but no nipples. Interesting Slight Smile
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
Barnacles have penises up to 8 times their body size!

With penises up to 8 times their body size, Barnacles have the biggest penises of all animals.
Compelled to mate, yet firmly attached to the rock, barnacles have evolved the longest penis of any animal for their size – up to 8 times their body length – so they can find and fertilize distant neighbours.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago

Katydid bugs hear with their feet

Some animals do remarkable things with their feet. The butterfly for example taste with its feet. The Katydid bug, also known as bush-cricket, is another creature that does remarkable things with its feet; Katydid bugs hear with their feet. Their ears tympana (hearing organs) are placed on their front legs.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Bombardier beetles can shoot boiling toxics from their behinds

Bombardier beetles have one of the most remarkable and sophisticated defense mechanisms seen in any animal. When threatened, bombardier beetles spray the suspected attacker with a boiling hot mixture of caustic chemicals. The predator hears a loud pop, then finds itself bathed in a cloud of toxins reaching 212o F (100 oC). Even more impressive, the bombardier beetle can aim the poisonous eruption in the direction of the harasser.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Only the female mosquito bites you

Only female mosquitoes bite (bite! mosquitoes don’t sting!). Mosquitoes don’t typically feed on blood, but the female needs the blood to develop her eggs. Male mosquitoes normally feed on nectar and plant juices. That’s why only female mosquitoes bite.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago Edited: 6 years ago, bio_man
The Hippopotamus is one of the most dangerous animals in the world

The somewhat funny looking hippopotamus is responsible for more human fatalities than any other large animal. The hippopotamus is by nature a very aggressive animal, even more when they have young calves. Hippopotamuses are known to attack people in their boats or on land without any provocation; being there is enough for the hippo to start attacking you!
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Butterflies taste with their feet

The taste receptors of a butterfly are placed on its feet? A butterfly’s sense of taste is coordinated by chemoreceptors on the tarsi, or feet, which work only on contact, and are used to determine whether an egg-laying insect’s offspring will be able to feed on a leaf before eggs are laid on it. A female butterfly lands on different plants, drumming the leaves with her feet to make the plant release its juices. Spines on the back of her legs have chemoreceptors that detect the right match of plant chemicals. When she identified the right plant, she lays her eggs. A butterfly will also step on its food, using organs that sense dissolved sugars to taste food sources like fermenting fruit.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
A bee has five eyes

A bee has five eyes; three simple eyes, or ocelli, and two compound eyes. The compound eyes are made of lots of small, repeating eye parts called ommatidia. In each compound eye, about 150 ommatidia specialize in seeing patterns.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1239 People Browsing
 118 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145