s
r
d
l
a
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on whether windows should be Open or Close during typhnoon to Reduces Damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 449 times
15 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Typhoons include thunderstorms, which means the potential for lightening. Glass is an insulator, so I'd assume you're better protected if it's closed. You're probably a little better off with the window closed. Both windows and doors can be made of or contain metal, so the glass may not make much difference. In terms of protection from the wind speed, a window will do very little in the presence of a typhoon.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
There is no thunder during typhoon, only strong wind, I would like to know on whether windows should be Open or Close during typhnoon to Reduces Window Damage.

Hotels - Closed Window

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
here is no thunder during typhoon, only strong wind

Please provide evidence, I'm certain it does. Undecided

I would like to know on whether windows should be Open or Close during typhnoon to Reduces Window Damage.

If windows are made of glass, then the glass will break if the pressure exceeds its breaking point. Every object has a natural frequency (vibrations per second), at which it prefers to vibrate. This is called the "resonant frequency". Naturally, typhoons can gather wind speeds of 118–156 km/h!
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Please see following news

http://hd.stheadline.com/news/realtime/hk/1318689/

http://hd.stheadline.com/news/realtime/hk/1318746/

http://hd.stheadline.com/news/realtime/hk/1318821/

I would like to know on whether windows should be Open or Close during typhnoon to Reduces Window Damage.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
It'll cause damage regardless because it's not only air that causes damage to a building during a typhoon, it's the debris that's being pushed in all directions. If it's in a wind tunnel where there is no debris and the wind produced is artificial, perhaps it'd be benefit to leave the windows open to reduce surface area, but then stuff inside the building will get damaged. I don't see a benefit to opening them at all
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Since building is not air-sealing, is there necessary to open window to balance pressure between inside and outside? which intend to reduce pressure difference.

wrote...
5 years ago

Massive winds being created by a powerful storm (such as typhoons or hurricanes) create an extreme amount of turbulence in the outside environment. That turbulence pushes onto a building from the outside, causing pressure to increase on the inside that can reach a maximum if there is no release. However, building and houses are not an airtight system, there is no pressure differential being created because they are ventilated systems. Your home won’t be inundated by a massive internal pressure buildup because air is still flowing in and out from the home at a safe rate. You just need to make sure there is no open space where the wind can be funneled through and allowed to cause serious destruction.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
Since building is not air-sealing, is there necessary to open window to balance pressure between inside and outside? which intend to reduce pressure difference. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

During high winds in the high rise building that I live in (>30 floors), there's always a huge amount of pressure build up. In fact, sometimes it's hard to open doors due to this effect.

I like what the member above said, that all building are not closed systems. They have vents to the outside world. Without proper scientific evidence, I can only further speculate.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Since building and houses are not an airtight system, window should be closed during typhoon period, would it be correct conclusion?

However, all windows for hotels are closed, but windows still not able to avoid damages, please see following images.

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
That's consistent with my perspective
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
However, all windows for hotels are closed, but windows still not able to avoid damages, please see above images.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Could these pictures reflect the aftermath of an earthquake?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Those images are caused by typhoon, you can see the posted video as shown below

http://hd.stheadline.com/news/realtime/hk/1318746/

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1005 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion