t
S
m
s
cangyufeiyi cangyufeiyi
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
5 years ago
You are the coding manager for a large city hospital. You outsource some overflow coding to a vendor. As the contact person for those coders, you sometimes get e-mails asking for discharge dates or dispositions to be entered so the account can be finalized. You would like those coders to be able to enter that information themselves to save you time. Your HIM director has a differing opinion. What explanations would lead you to support her position?

Objective: Students will apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data both internal and external to the health system

Assessment: The student will create a memo supporting the decision of limiting data entry of key data (discharge dates and dispositions) to the manager of the coding department.
Read 1007 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
Making corrections or changes to the EHR should only be done by specificindividuals within the organization to ensure the integrity of the data. Access to additionalfunctions within the EHR by outside vendors may ultimately create more problemsinvolving even more time to correct.(Sayles 2016, 70)

References

Sayles, N. B. 2016. Health Information Functions, Purposes, and Users. Chapter 3 inHealthInformation Management Technology: An Applied Approach, 5th ed. Sayles, N.B. and L. Gordon, eds.Chicago: AHIMA.
ola
wrote...
3 years ago
It would be good to know why the HIM director has a differing opinion. Being able to understand her position would be a good start towards accepting that opinion. Understanding can bring support and acceptance. It will also be better to have understanding in order to promote the idea to others.

Having the HIM director explain her opinion to me would be great. Maybe she feels that giving the external coders too much access to our files may in some way violate HIPAA regulations. If I can understand her opinion better, it may even be possible to help her understand mine. Between the two of us, we may be able to come to a better arrangement with the external coders and possibly speed up the coding process. This in turn could speed up the reimbursement process.

If she explained how making changes or correction to the EHR could affect the integrity of the data and should only be done by specific individuals within the organization, that would help me understand why it is so important to keep the ability to input into the EHR within our department.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1112 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156