t
i
r
r
Catracho Catracho
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
5 years ago
A.   When Dana thinks about books, she thinks that they are a bound stack of papers with stories or other information written on a page. When her second-grade teacher suggests that each student read a book on the computer, Dana is confused until she see that the same information could be presented on a computer screen.

1.   In this scenario, Dana’s idea of a book as described initially is a ______________.
2.   In fact, Dana is looking at her history textbook and this is her _____________ of a book.
3.   When her teacher presents the idea of reading a book on a computer, Dana needs to change her ____________ to include those presented through electronic media.
Read 220 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Schemas are generalizations about categories of objects, events, and people.

Example: Dana's schema for books is that they are a bound stack of paper with stories or other information written on each page. When her fifth-grade teacher suggests that each student read a book on the computer, Dana is confused until she sees that the same information could be presented on a computer screen. Dana has now revised her schema for books to include those presented through electronic media.

Let's compare this to scripts and mental models.

Scripts are mental representations of familiar sequences, usually involving activity.

Example: As a college student, you have a script of how events should transpire in the classroom: students enter the classroom, sit in seats facing the professor, and take out their notebooks. The professor lectures while students take notes, until the bell rings and they all leave.

Mental models are clusters of propositions that represent people's understanding of how things work.

Example: There is a toy that is a board with different types of latches, fasteners, and buttons on it. As children play with it, they form a mental model of how these things work. Then, when they see a button, perhaps a doorbell, they will have an understanding of how it works.

Hope this helps!
Catracho Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Schemas are generalizations about categories of objects, events, and people. Example: Dana's schema for books is that they are a bound stack of paper with stories or other information written on each page. When her fifth-grade teacher suggests that each student read a book on the computer, Dana is confused until she sees that the same information could be presented on a computer screen. Dana has now revised her schema for books to include those presented through electronic media. Let's compare this to scripts and mental models. Scripts are mental representations of familiar sequences, usually involving activity. Example: As a college student, you have a script of how events should transpire in the classroom: students enter the classroom, sit in seats facing the professor, and take out their notebooks. The professor lectures while students take notes, until the bell rings and they all leave. Mental models are clusters of propositions that represent people's understanding of how things work. Example: There is a toy that is a board with different types of latches, fasteners, and buttons on it. As children play with it, they form a mental model of how these things work. Then, when they see a button, perhaps a doorbell, they will have an understanding of how it works. Hope this helps!
  so what can I type on in those 3 spaces?
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
Schema fits for the first and last statement. Unsure about the middle. If you have background information on the assignment, attach it, might help me out more

Any other questions, I'll be around to help
wrote...
5 years ago
2.   In fact, Dana is looking at her history textbook and this is her _____________ of a book.

concept?

Concepts are categories of objects, events, or ideas with common properties. Artificial and natural concepts are examples. The concept of “book” includes properties such as a paper or hard cover around pages with writing on them.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Upwards Arrow You could be right. What do you think of my answers?

1.   In this scenario, Dana’s idea of a book as described initially is a ______________.

I know 1) is for sure schema.

Awaiting your reply
wrote...
5 years ago
than try 1) is concept, 2) schema, 3) mental model tho i'm not entirely sure
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1148 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?