t
i
r
r
Catracho Catracho
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
5 years ago
2. Provide an example ( other than the textbook’s)  of how we would use the simple linear regression model or the multiple regression model to predict an outcome in a real life setting. What would be appropriate independent variable(s),  and dependent variable for your example  What would be a reasonably acceptable r square value for your example ?
Read 129 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Since we can choose, let's pick the easier of the two, simple linear regression.

Recall the difference:

In simple linear regression a single independent variable is used to predict the value of a dependent variable. In multiple linear regression two or more independent variables are used to predict the value of a dependent variable. The difference between the two is the number of independent variables. In both cases there is only a single dependent variable.

Here's a scenario (it can be anything really). Let's say you're a researcher who desires to estimate students’ grades based on the number of hours they studied for an exam. The searcher takes a random sample of 50 students currently enrolled in a __(whatever)__ course and records their test grade (0 – 100) and the number of hours they studied.

Here, grade is likely DEPENDENT on the hours (INDEPENDENT variable). A reasonable r score to show a strong relationship is r > 0.7.

By the way, I'll be answering the rest of your questions tomorrow, it's 3 AM where I am Face with Rolling Eyes
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1248 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372