s
r
d
l
a
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on which planets have magnetic fields except Earth.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 690 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
The gas planets do, including Earth. The others have weak, if not, non-existent.

Hope that helps
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
For strength on magnetic field, could you please list out their ranking from strongest to weakest?
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Of course, I found a list here

http://lasp.colorado.edu/~bagenal/3750/ClassNotes/Class13/Class13.html

Anything else, let me know
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Jupiter gets the stronger Magnetic field, and which would effect the direction of solar storm (carrying charges). 

Referring to following image, if there is solar storm heading toward earth, I would like to know on which position of Jupiter would reduce the amount of charging particles toward Earth during solar storm.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I didn't realize a solar storm is directional. Is there a natural physical phenomenon that would favor the solar storm's particles towards Earth? Let's hypothetically say the rays are pushed in the direction of the Earth, now we ask, where would Jupiter have to be to reduce the amount of charging particles towards earth? I know that the magnetic field of the Earth protects it from sun by deflecting the solar winds. The distance between Jupiter and the Earth is too vast for Jupiter's magnetic field to have any effect on the Earth. Yes, Jupiter's magnetic field creates a magnetosphere so large it begins to avert the solar wind almost 3 million kilometers before it reaches Jupiter. However, the distance from Earth to Jupiter is 588 million kilometers.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
From another viewpoint, I would like to know on the light intensity from different planets.
Do you have any suggestions on any light intensity ranking?
Post Merge: 5 years ago

I find it.
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
  The distance between Jupiter and the Earth is too vast for Jupiter's magnetic field to have any effect on the Earth. Yes, Jupiter's magnetic field creates a magnetosphere so large it begins to avert the solar wind almost 3 million kilometers before it reaches Jupiter. However, the distance from Earth to Jupiter is 588 million kilometers. 

Since the distance between Earth and Jupiter is too far away 588 million kilometers, Jupiter's magnetosphere do not interact with Earth's magnetosphere at all.  Would it be correct?

Would the mass of Jupiter suck Sun's atmosphere easily? Would Earth get more Solar Storm during Jupiter on 1 position?  Is there any related articles talking about this issue?

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
From another viewpoint, I would like to know on the light intensity from different planets. Do you have any suggestions on any light intensity ranking? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
Post Merge: 5 years ago
I find it. Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)

I don't think planets give off any visible light; it's just reflected from the sun. Any planet that you can see from far away is 'lit up’ due to the planet reflecting the light of the sun. The surface of any body determines what kind electromagnetic radiation it puts out (black-body radiation). The sun's surface is hot enough that it radiates in the visible spectrum of light, which planets then reflect. However planets are still able to radiate in certain spectrums depending on their temperature. For example, Earth radiates in the infrared spectrum, which means we can't see it, but we still do radiate at certain wavelengths. The same is true for most planets (radiate in infrared spectrum) which means they also radiate, just not in the visible light spectrum. Also, given the distance from Jupiter to the sun, it radiates more energy than it receives from the sun. This is due to its very high temperature (close to million Kelvin) fast rotating core. Some part of this energy is radiated as IR radiation, and hence can act as its own light.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Since the distance between Earth and Jupiter is too far away 588 million kilometers, Jupiter's magnetosphere do not interact with Earth's magnetosphere at all.  Would it be correct?

It's negligible, so yes.

Would the mass of Jupiter suck Sun's atmosphere easily? Would Earth get more Solar Storm during Jupiter on 1 position?  Is there any related articles talking about this issue?

You're asking if Jupiter is aligned perfectly behind Earth, will its gravitational pull strengthen the solar winds heading towards earth? I don't know precisely, but I feel the effect is also negligible.

Source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/EO062i015p00153-03
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Would the mass of Jupiter suck Sun's atmosphere easily? Would Earth get more Solar Storm during Jupiter on 1 position? Is there any related articles talking about this issue?
You're asking if Jupiter is aligned perfectly behind Earth, will its gravitational pull strengthen the solar winds heading towards earth? I don't know precisely, but I feel the effect is also negligible. Source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/EO062i015p00153-03

Can you access the PDF? if yes, could you please attached the PDF and reply on this forum?
Furthermore, the articles is first published on 14 April 1981, there is not much satellites on monitoring Sun's activity, so it may not accurately with today's technology.

Do you find more recently articles about this issues?
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I wish I did, though I found an article that also mentions its lack-thereof effect

Today begins a two-week process in which the sun, Venus, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars begin moving into near-perfect alignment known as a 'syzygy.'

Officials at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Tuesday that contrary to some projections, the planetary alignment should have no perceptible effect on solar flare activity.

Some researchers have advanced the theory that the increased gravitational attraction exerted on the sun by the aligned planets could produce massive eruptions near sunspots.

According to the theory, the radiation and particles hurled earthward by the sun would change the atmosphere in a way that would slow Earth's rotation. That, in turn, could cause the large plates which make up Earth's crust to grind together more vigorously and cause major earthquakes.

The theory is called the 'Jupiter Effect' because Jupiter is the largest of the planets and thus exerts the most gravitational attraction.

But officials at NOAA said there should not be much change in solar activity because of the alignment.

'We may have major solar flares occurring at about the time of this planetary alignment,' said Patrick McIntosh, a scientist at NOAA's Space Environment Laboratory. 'But they should have little or nothing to do with the fact that the planets are aligned.'

He said this does not mean such alignments produce no perceptible effect, but that the effects of this particular alignment will be very small.

McIntosh acknowledged the planets do produce tides on the sun by the sweep of their gravitational fields, but without significant effect.

'In fact,' he said, 'most solar astronomers would say the sun barely knows the planets are out there.'

The planetary alignment process continues through April 7. Scientists said Saturn, Jupiter, Earth, the sun, Venus and Mars will fall into a rough line, a configuration known as a 'syzygy.'

Officials said about one year later, the planets will come into a much rougher conjunction on the same side of the sun. But McIntosh said this month's syzygy places the planets much closer to a common line and would be the most favorable configuration for the so-called 'Jupiter Effect' to be felt.

Remember that the sun has a rotation. When an eruption occurs, that flare it dispersed in the direction of its trajectory. Kind of like how it's shown below.

Keep in mind that because our knowledge is so incomplete, the safe way to proceed is to not rule out any of these possibilities, but to investigate, compare observations, make some logical deductions and inferences, and draw up some tentative hypotheses. For this reason, I'm not counting out that it may have an effect, but also since the alignment is so quick (as the planets are constantly on the move), its effect would be small if non-existent.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
According to the theory, the radiation and particles hurled earthward by the sun would change the atmosphere in a way that would slow Earth's rotation. That, in turn, could cause the large plates which make up Earth's crust to grind together more vigorously and cause major earthquakes. The theory is called the 'Jupiter Effect' because Jupiter is the largest of the planets and thus exerts the most gravitational attraction.

There is no much YouTube about Jupiter Effect, I would like to know on how the sun would change the atmosphere in a way that would slow Earth's rotation. Do they confirm this statement?

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
There's not much about it because it's a failed concept. If there was perfect planetary alignment, possibly Jupiter's gravitational force would slow Earth's rotation, but so slightly that it wouldn't even matter
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  931 People Browsing
 150 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?