t
i
r
r
Catracho Catracho
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
5 years ago
  Two very important concepts mentioned in this chapter are budget constraints and the allocation of income to maximize utility. These are problems that all of us face on a continuing basis. For example, we may be hungry for pizza so we go to a pizza parlor and have pizza. Maximum utility. But then one of our friends calls and want to go for pizza so we go again for pizza. We still allocate income but the utility is less. So is it worth it? Discuss here times when you have experienced a situation as I described above (maybe not with pizza). Include your budget constraints and how you most often intend to allocate your income resources with those constraints. And, of course, include the actual "interferences" to your budget goals.
 Attached file 
(1949.5 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 93 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
Allocating Income to Maximize Utility

1. A consumer should choose the product that gives the most utility for the money.

2. This means using the marginal utility per dollar spent as the correct measure for comparing the utility gained from various goods.

Here's my take:

One thing that I try to avoid at all costs is purchasing clothes from online retailers. When shopping at a mall, I can try on an item of clothing before purchasing it to make sure it fits. However, when shopping online, I can't do the same. If I do purchase something and it does not fit, I'm then responsible for going through the trouble of shipping it back for a refund. This uncertainty about the fit lowers the anticipated marginal utility from buying online.

Of course, to address this problem, if I have to purchase online, I only buy from website's that offer a virtual 3D model of the product. Online retailers that have this option allow me to enter my height, weight, and various size measurements. The website then automatically adjusts the size of the clothes to match my body's parameters. This allows me to see how well a particular shirt or pants are likely to fit from miles away. Therefore, this feature reduces the uncertainty about how well cloths fit, and increases my marginal utility of any given quantity I consider buying at any price.

Hope that example helps!

Please mark as solved if satisfied -- also locks the answer from others.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1298 People Browsing
 117 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586