r
d
l
a
ccnnieeee ccnnieeee
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
5 years ago
We will be looking at a very important study from 2003 showing the association between consuming fiber and reducing the likelihood of heart disease and stroke. To begin, go to the article at http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=215976
You will first notice the title and author list. Next is the abstract, which summarizes the methods and results from this study.
Notice that they refer to the “National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey”, where have we heard about this before?

As you continue to read, you will next see the methods, please summarize these in your own words. Your summary should be at least several sentences in length.

Next you will see the results. Tables 1 and 2 outline the sample population and much total and soluble fiber they consumed. In tables 3 and 4 they begin to analyze stroke and heart disease events and fiber consumption. Notice that they have p-values listed in the far right column. 

What is a p-value? What is the cut off for significance using this measure?

In Table 3, which analyses are considered statistically significant? 

Sum up the results in a few sentences.

In the comments section the authors provide context to their findings. Are there other studies which support these findings? If so, write them below.

Overall, these data along with other studies suggest that increased fiber consumption has what impact on cardiovascular health?
Read 147 times
1 Reply