d
l
a
s
ahmedmelmoselhy ahmedmelmoselhy
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
5 years ago
Hello everyone, I am a Computer Science guy and I am interested in some Biology and following is my question.
Is it possible to know genes-proteins association?
i.e for a certain protein, how can I know the set of genes contributed to produce that protein?
Are there any online databases available for that purpose?
Thanks.
Read 265 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Is it possible to know genes-proteins association?

This is a major part of ongoing genetic research. Not all known genes that are part of the human genome have a known function, so many large pharmaceutical companies use their wealth to try to study how specific genes control aspects of human health. Also, be mindful that some genes work in tandem with others, so one particular gene may not have a known function on its own, unless it works together with a protein that's associated with a second or third gene. As a result, it is possible for these associations to be discovered, as many are already.

To learn what's already been discovered, use the website database here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene Try writing down gene you're interested in
wrote...
5 years ago
Thanks for the informative answer.
I used NCBI to search for Gene: BRCA. Attached image part of the result
What I understand is that  BRCA1 contributes to producing those proteins, right?
So, there is no complete source for all the known associations?
e.g in a tabular format (genes Vs proteins)
O.W should I build it one by one?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
BRCA1 is the gene that encodes "Breast cancer type 1 susceptibility protein".

When it comes to searching, you have to keep in mind that other organisms also express the gene, so you have to be specific with the species you're researching by specifying it. Other versions found in other organisms are called orthologs.

Perhaps use the source below for more information pertaining to humans only: https://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P38398
wrote...
5 years ago
Thanks a lot.
I've found a service on UniProt that allows me to search for genes and proteins for those genes, via "Retrieve/ID mapping" in UniProt.
and the search result can be downloaded in many formats (including tabular format) which I found very useful, and I used it.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Thanks for the feedback ahmedmelmoselhy
wrote...
5 years ago
With pleasure Mr. @bio_man  Slight Smile
Thanks for your support.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  751 People Browsing
 121 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328