s
r
d
l
a
homework1 homework1
wrote...
5 years ago

The nurse states, You need to take a walk. The client responds with walk, walk, walk. This is an example of which speech pattern?
A)   Flight of ideas
B)   Echolalia
C)   Neologism
D)   Loose association

A nurse is initiating a conversation with a client diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Which of the following is an example of a barrier to therapeutic communication?
A)   Clarification
B)   Validation
C)   Giving advice
D)   Using silence

Which of the following would be inconsistent in conveying a sense of openness to the client?
A)   A facial expression congruent with other gestures
B)   Crossed legs and arms
C)   Respecting the physical or personal space between the client and yourself
D)   Use of touch

The nurse is interviewing a client newly admitted to the inpatient unit. The client states, I am hungry. Will you buy me a car? Can we go to the movie? The nurse understands that this is an example of which of the following speech pattern?
A)   Verbigeration
B)   Loose association
C)   Neologism
D)   Flight of ideas

While completing an assessment, the nurse asks a client how he is feeling. The client gives a lengthy and very detailed history of numerous problems. He states, My leg is swelling, my eye is drooping, and my cologne is too strong. The nurse would document this speech pattern as which of the following?
A)   Echolalia
B)   Circumstantiality
C)   Blocking
D)   Verbigeration

When interviewing a client regarding his previous health history, the nurse uses hand gestures and facial expressions when communicating. This is an example of which communication technique?
A)   Use of touch
B)   Kinesics
C)   Blocking
D)   Objectivity

When interacting with a client in a professional atmosphere, for most people in U.S. culture, personal space is designated as which of the following?
A)   6 inches
B)   9 inches
C)   1 foot
D)   2 feet

Which of the following is true regarding therapeutic communication?
A)   The focus is on the client.
B)   It is planned by the client.
C)   The goal is expression of the nurses feelings.
D)   It does not encompass values and beliefs.

When initiating a therapeutic conversation with a client, the nurse uses which of the following therapeutic communication techniques?
A)   False reassurance
B)   Validation
C)   Giving advice
D)   Minimizing

A mental health nurse is teaching a nursing student about the importance of active listening. Which of the following would be inconsistent with active listening?
A)   Giving critical attention to verbal comments
B)   Attempting to understand the clients perception of the situation
C)   Judging the client on his or her perception of the illness
D)   Reviewing client comments and behaviors prior to responding

When dealing with clients diagnosed with mental illness, the nurse must use caution when using touch to convey caring with which client population?
A)   A client who is ready for discharge
B)   A depressed client
C)   A client who is diagnosed with schizophrenia
D)   A client who is sexually preoccupied

When the nurse asks a client, Did I understand you correctly, the nurse is using which verbal communication technique?
A)   Validation
B)   Clarification
C)   Reflection
D)   Restating

The nurse states to the client, It is time for your dinner. The client responds with For your dinner, for your dinner, for your dinner. The nurse would document this as which type of speech pattern?
A)   Neologism
B)   Echolalia
C)   Verbigeration
D)   Loose association

When the client talks about a recent death of a brother, the client states, Then my sisterwhat was I saying? The nurse understands that the client is using which of the following speech patterns?
A)   Verbigeration
B)   Echolalia
C)   Blocking
D)   Flight of ideas

Using silence is a nonverbal communication technique. Silence allows which of the following to occur in the conversation?
A)   The unwillingness to continue listening
B)   The nurse to stop the conversation
C)   The ability of the client to ignore the nurse
D)   The regain of control in the conversation
Answer Key

B

C

B

D

B

B

D