t
i
r
r
yoyoyo12345 yoyoyo12345
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
5 years ago
1.The population of a certain state (in thousands) at t years since 1991 is modeled by the polynomial p(t)=-0.24t^2+111t+6766.

a. Find the average growth rate from 1991 to 2001 analytically.
b. Find the instantaneous growth rate in 1997 analytically.
c. Draw an appropriate graph of p'(t) for 0<=t<=10. What does the graph reveal about the population growth in this state?

2. The height of a certain type of tree can be modeled by the function h(b)=5.88+0.65b+0.0057b^2, where b represents the base diameter in centimeters and h is measured in meters.   

a. Find dh/db and draw an appropriate graph below. Include scale and axes labels.
b. Interpret the meaning of dh/db.
Read 101 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
1.The population of a certain state (in thousands) at t years since 1991 is modeled by the polynomial p(t)=-0.24t^2+111t+6766. a. Find the average growth rate from 1991 to 2001 analytically. b. Find the instantaneous growth rate in 1997 analytically. c. Draw an appropriate graph of p'(t) for 0<=t<=10. What does the graph reveal about the population growth in this state?

Attached. I'm working on #2
 Attached file 
(100.38 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
2. The height of a certain type of tree can be modeled by the function h(b)=5.88+0.65b+0.0057b^2, where b represents the base diameter in centimeters and h is measured in meters.    a. Find dh/db and draw an appropriate graph below. Include scale and axes labels. b. Interpret the meaning of dh/db.

Hi yoyoyo12345

Attached... Let me know if you have other math questions
 Attached file 
(85.65 KB)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I want to revise my answer for #1. Notice that the red line refers to the derivative while the blue lines are the parabola representing the first equation. It's downwards facing, hence a maximum that you can't see because it's so large. The instantaneous growth rate at 1997 is positive, meaning that there's growth in 1997. This should be your answer to question (C)
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  872 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?