t
i
r
r
Rhodesanna Crocker Rhodesanna Crocker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
You read a newspaper article that says:“On average, the majority of college students experience depression 5 days per week during their 1styear of college.” Which mean and standard deviation would you have the most confidence in saying “this mean is representative of the individuals in my sample?” A)M= 5, SD= 2.27B)M= 5, SD= 1.91C)M= 5, SD = 1.08D) M= 5, SD= 2.03
Read 49 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
M = 5, SD = 1.08. The mean is representative of individual in my sample because it has the least variability due to lowest standard deviation value.

Hope that helps. See if the following questions help too:

6.Alejandra collects data from 100 students on whether they identify as Asian, African American, Latino, European American, or Other. The numeric codes for each ethnicity are included below:Asian = 1African American = 2 Latino = 3European American = 4 Other = 5Alejandra finds that the mean of ethnicity is 3.3. Alejandra concludes that the majority of her sample are Latino. Is Alejandra’s finding correct?

A)Yes, the mean is calculated by adding up each observation and dividing the sum by the number of participants.

B)Yes, 3.3 is closest to “3” which is the numeric code for Latino

C)No, 3.3 is closest to 3, but Alejandra did not account for those that identify as Hispanic rather than Latino.

D)No, 3.3 is the mean of a categorical variable and does not mean anything, because the mean cannot be calculated with these data.

7.Why is the last step of the standard deviation taking the square root of the number?

A)Puts the number in squared units

B)Transforms the number into the original units

C)Because we squared each deviation

D)Both A & B

E)Both B&C

F)A, B, and C are also correct

8.Although theories can never be ________, they can be ________ by the results of a particular research study.

A.Disproven; Proven

B.Falsified; Proven

C.Proven; Disproven

D.Proven; Supported

9.The data collected by researchers has sampling error, which...

A)is greater in large samples compared to small samples

B)should be as large as possible

C)is eliminated by using probability samples

D)reflects differences between the sample and population

10.Which of the following is a ratio variable?

A.Ethnicity

B.Military Ranks

C.Number of siblings

D.Major in college

11.Which of the following is an example of a nondirectional hypothesis?

A)I hypothesize there is a positive relationship between a high-fat diet and weight gain.

B)I hypothesize there is a negative relationship between a high-fat diet and weight gain.

C)I hypothesize there is a relationship between a high-fat diet and weight gain.

D)I hypothesize there is no relationship between a high-fat diet and weight gain.

Answers:

6. Option B: Yes, 3.3 is close to 3 and it is the numeric code for Latino.

7. Option E: B&C

8. Option C: Proven, Disproven.

9. Option C: Sample error is eliminated by probability samples because it allow every member of the population to have equal chance of being selected into the sample.

10. Option C: number of siblings is a ratio scale, others are categorical.

11. Option D: it is non directional.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1332 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?