a
t
i
r
r
JisselFlores JisselFlores
wrote...
5 years ago
Arnold Marion, a first-year economics student at Fazer College, was given an assignment to find an example of price discrimination and present it to his class. When asked for his example Arnold said "I went to a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game with my cousin last week. We paid $25 each for our seats in left field. My aunt and uncle paid $50 each for their tickets; they sat five rows behind the first base dugout. This is an example of price discrimination since we paid different prices for the same product, and the differences were not due to differences in costs." How would Arnold's economics instructor assess Arnold's example?

• He would agree with Arnold that he had found an example of price discrimination, but would add that arbitrage would occur if ticket scalpers sold Brewers tickets for more than the prices Arnold and his uncle paid.

• He would disagree with Arnold's example because the $25 seats and the $50 seats were not the same products.

• He would agree with Arnold that he had found an example of price discrimination and would explain that the elasticity of demand for Brewers tickets is different for Arnold and his uncle.

• He would disagree with Arnold's example because there were differences in transactions costs for the $50 tickets and the $25 tickets.
Textbook 
Microeconomics

Microeconomics

Edition: 7th
Authors:
Read 50 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
cooldawg69cooldawg69
wrote...
5 years ago