t
i
r
r
saranyaallu saranyaallu
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
5 years ago
A. Why do we use formamide to dissolve DNA precipitate in the preparation of sequencing samples?

B. What is the size of the target amplicon of GFPuv in the qRT-PCR experiment?

C. How do you determine the efficiency of a real-Time PCR assay?

Read 185 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
5 years ago
How do you determine the efficiency of a real-Time PCR assay?

Ideally, the number of molecules of the target sequence should double during each replication cycle, corresponding to a 100% amplification efficiency. Similarly, if the number of replicated molecules is less than double this is due to poor efficiency – below 100%. The most common reasons for lower efficiencies are bad primer design and non-optimal reagent concentrations or reaction conditions. Secondary structures like dimers and hairpins or inappropriate melting temperatures can affect primer template annealing which results in poor amplification. Since each additional dilution contains appropriately lower starting amounts of DNA, differences occur between cycle threshold (ct) values in serially diluted samples (see below).

One way of calculating the amplification efficiency is by making serial dilutions of your target. Once you obtain their Ct values, plot them on a logarithmic scale along with corresponding concentrations. Next, generate a linear regression curve through the data points and calculate the slope of the trend line. Finally, efficiency is calculated using the equation: \(E=-1+10^{left(frac{-1}{slope}ight)}\)

Or use this calculator which does the work for you. Be sure to understand what influences the slope of the amplification curve, as it can otherwise be misleading.

Typically, desired amplification efficiencies range from 90% to 110%. The theoretical maximum of 100% indicates that polymerase enzyme is working at maximum capacity.

A. Why do we use formamide to dissolve DNA precipitate in the preparation of sequencing samples?

It's a destabilizing agents, which is required to loosen the bonds holding the DNA molecule together. It does this by competing effectively with the H-bonding between the base pairs.

B. What is the size of the target amplicon of GFPuv in the qRT-PCR experiment?

If this question is based on a lab you did, I can't answer your question. What's the name of your lab? Maybe I can look it up and figure this one out more effectively.

To check whether the PCR generated the anticipated DNA fragment (also sometimes referred to as the amplicon), agarose gel electrophoresis is employed for size separation of the PCR products. The size(s) of PCR products is determined by comparison with a DNA ladder (a molecular weight marker), which contains DNA fragments of known size, run on the gel alongside the PCR products.

Did you do such a thing? Maybe just write what I wrote above and it'll be fine.

Good luck
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
5 years ago
If you're content with my answers, please thumbs up or mark as solved. Thanks Slight Smile
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1181 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352