r
d
l
a
mr02077 mr02077
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
Why would cell division be a mean that prolongs life of a unicellular?

In many encyclopedias you can read life is mortal due to multiple reasons (mutations in nuclear and mitochondrial DNA, DNA methylation, shortening of telomeres, accumulation of waste material and free radicals). All those negative impacts are accumulated in a cell mass that is to divide, so from my standpoint, division would be just splitting in two material that would be equally close to death in the life path, as it was before the division.

I do not see what is rejuvenating in cell division, as we here talk about mitosis of unicellulars (almost no gene recombination to revitalize the gene pool and it is not like cell multiplication in multicellulars that obviously helps to regenerate tissues)

Thank you for spending time to give your input !
Read 360 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
Confusing question. To me it's like asking, why did life evolve to be multicellular? Clearly, multicellular life is advantageous to unicellular organisms. Exposing a bacterium to alcohol, for example, will instantly kill it; of course, we don't have that problem. Therefore, a multicellular organism has a longer lifespan than an unicellular organism and since it has multiple cells, it can perform more functions than a unicellular organism. Given that humans are multicellular, cell division via mitosis is the only way for life to continue. Cells are constantly dying or need repair, hence this allows cells to replicate and replace those damaged cells. The process isn't perfect, as a testament to what you mentioned, for example, telomeres can shorten over time, but it's the process preferred by all living species because it works.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
mr02077 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
I think you dealt in your answer, with all but what the question is about.

Regarding multicellularity, it is like in reply to the question "why did Columbus lost his way on the voyage" you provide an answer like "because that is how America was to be discovered"

Bur I clearly stated, at the start of my question, it was about unicellulars and their reproduction. Not about growth of multicellulars. Not about tissue regeneration through cell division.

The question is simple: what is that which is rejuvenating in cell division which extends life of a unicellular, which would otherwise, at some point end, if it does not divide.
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, duddy
Thanks for clarifying, I was genuinely confused

The question is simple: what is that which is rejuvenating in cell division which extends life of a unicellular, which would otherwise, at some point end, if it does not divide.

Nothing about cell division is rejuvenating. In fact, cell division isn't designed to rejuvenate an existing cell, it's main purpose is to replicate a pre-existing organism for survival. Other processes have evolved to clean up with the cell without having to divide, albeit only in eukaryotic cells, such as lysosomes. What extends the life of single-celled organisms, such as bacteria, is an energy source and water. They don't even have "teleomeres" to shorten.

Hope that helps.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Why would cell division be a mean that prolongs life of a unicellular?

What would be the alternative to binary fission (that is, if you're referring the bacteria as a unicellular)?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1088 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274