r
d
l
a
Catracho Catracho
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
4 years ago
1. Philosophy is the love of wisdom, not the love of knowledge. What are some differences you might find between someone who loves wisdom and someone who loves knowledge? Give some examples, and discuss your viewpoint on the subject.

2. What is your personal definition of philosophy? Refer to the readings of the definition of what philosophy is, and what it is not. Explain how the definition relates to your personal definition, and again, refer to the readings and cite some that back up your views.

3. Would you live your life differently if you believed you would be reborn many more times? How would you feel about "coming back"?

Read 174 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
3. Would you live your life differently if you believed you would be reborn many more times? How would you feel about "coming back"?

I wouldn't change the way I live knowing we're reborn each time. Each subsequent life is not connected to the previous, so all the suffering we face in this life-time, or the suffering we're facing right now, wouldn't change. The idea of being "reborn" doesn't mean our life continues, so whether I come back or not, I wouldn't have any recollection of the past anyway, so what's the point? It's not like we can correct the mistakes of the past. If we did have recollection, however, I'd certainly be more careless in my behavior, but just like a cat with nine lives, I'd have that mentality too.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Not the best answer, but here we go...

2. What is your personal definition of philosophy? Refer to the readings of the definition of what philosophy is, and what it is not. Explain how the definition relates to your personal definition, and again, refer to the readings and cite some that back up your views.

For me, it's a set of rules/exioms I follow based on my life experiences. When we studies philosophy, we want to understand how and why people do certain things and how to live a good life. In other words, we want to know the meaning of life. A philosopher is someone whose job is to think these big thoughts.

---

Perhaps you can mix some of this with it:

Philosophy and the nature of philosophical activity are open ways or thinking about life, truth, religion, spirituality, and other unanswerable life’s questions.  According to Hallman, philosophy is defined as the “love for wisdom” from the Greek language.  Being able to be open-minded about controversial topics to daily life questions keeps the mind able to explore and learn new things.  Being open-minded about different types of thinking and ways of life is also being able to think about it rationally in a way that also makes logical sense.  

There are different ways philosophers look at opposing ideals and beliefs.  In Hallman’s Introduction, the German philosopher Martin Heidegger explained two distinct thinking, which were meditative – why, and calculative – how. However, there are many philosophers that do not believe in this type of thinking. Most would concur that the philosophical thinking varies from other categories of thinking because of the topics of discussion (Hallman, p. xxii).

People think differently from Asia to the United States to Europe, and philosophy is a study of learning why people come to believe in what they believe.  In Hallman’s Introduction, he mentions, “philosophy is a kind conversation” which means that philosophical discussion is a “language that allows us to converse with others about many of the really important issues in our lives” (p. xxii).  Many of the philosophic topics discussed have been reasons for past wars among nations and rivalry.

I envision that philosophical thinking and writing will contribute to my life journey in my present and future relationships. These relationships can range from being a friend, co-worker, teacher, or patient.  If I can understand how they understand and think why something is the way it is; it will be easier for me to get along with them in general.  An example for my future would be for me to understand that someone is not being rude, but was grown to believe in some other religion or way of life. This type of thinking will help lead me to the understanding of other beliefs and have patience as a friend, co-worker, student, or nurse.

---

Also provided another resource in the attachment Downwards Arrow
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
1. Philosophy is the love of wisdom, not the love of knowledge. What are some differences you might find between someone who loves wisdom and someone who loves knowledge? Give some examples, and discuss your viewpoint on the subject. 2. What is your personal definition of philosophy? Refer to the readings of the definition of what philosophy is, and what it is not. Explain how the definition relates to your personal definition, and again, refer to the readings and cite some that back up your views. 3. Would you live your life differently if you believed you would be reborn many more times? How would you feel about "coming back"?

Philosophy is understanding while knowledge is knowing. For example, science helps us answer questions about the natural world. It gives us defined, replicable proof of how something physically works. Science cannot answer metaphysical questions such as what constitutes consciousness, awareness, and the ability to reason with intelligence. If it could, scientists would be able to devise precise tests and experiments to back this all up, then "knowledge" might be moved out of philosophy and placed into "science." For now, however, the hard problems of consciousness and intelligence remain elusive to laboratory science, and so the whole field remains part of "philosophy." Therefore, knowledge is comprehension; philosophy is understanding deeper because it comes from empathy or identification.

Hope this helps, honestly these are HARD questions Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1208 People Browsing
 133 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328