l
a
dal9473 dal9473
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, dal9473
1. Select only the true statements. This is a right minus wrong question so be
very careful.
A. A normal human body cell karyotype contains a total of 23 chromosomes.
B. Meiosis II is basically a mitotic-type division.
C. A very large cross-over rate between two linked genes indicates that they are located far apart on their chromosome.
D. Meiosis I is a form of reduction division.
E. A Punnett square is able to predict exactly the number of offspring of each genotype that will be produced by a cross.

2. Explain completely, with examples, the difference between this pair of words:
allele - trait

3. When two bell-shaped squash plants are crossed, 25% ofthe offspring
are round, 25% are long, and 50% are bell-shaped. This cross BEST
illustrates
A. a test cross
B. complete dominance
C. multiple alleles
D. incomplete dominance

4. If one begins with one cell and follows it through three mitotic divisions, the end of the process will be how many cells?
A. 16
B. 32
c. 8
D. 4

5. If2n = 20 chromosomes in corn, then the mature egg of a com plant has a chromosome number of
A.  20
B.  10
c.  40
D.  5
Post Merge: 4 years ago

anyone interested in answering these?
Read 520 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
1. Select only the true statements. This is a right minus wrong question so be very careful. A. A normal human body cell karyotype contains a total of 23 chromosomes. B. Meiosis II is basically a mitotic-type division. C. A very large cross-over rate between two linked genes indicates that they are located far apart on their chromosome. D. Meiosis I is a form of reduction division. E. A Punnett square is able to predict exactly the number of offspring of each genotype that will be produced by a cross.

A. A normal human body cell karyotype contains a total of 23 chromosomes. -- T
B. Meiosis II is basically a mitotic-type division. -- T
C. A very large cross-over rate between two linked genes indicates that they are located far apart on their chromosome. -- A direct consequence of this randomness is that the farther apart two linked loci are from each, the more likely it is that a crossover event will occur somewhere within the length of chromosome that lies between them.
D. Meiosis I is a form of reduction division. -- T
E. A Punnett square is able to predict exactly the number of offspring of each genotype that will be produced by a cross. -- T

2. Explain completely, with examples, the difference between this pair of words: allele - trait

Alleles are different versions of a gene. Take for example hairline -- two main alleles for the hairline gene: straight and pointed. Trait is a specific characteristic of an individual. Hairline is a trait that ALL humans possess. Traits are determined by genes, and also they are determined by the interaction with the environment with genes.

** Keep in mind, a maximum of 2 questions per thread, ideally 1 per topic.
Ange17
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
4 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 530 words.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science