a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, oem7110
“Our head is made up of pockets of air that we call sinuses. Usually, those pockets of air are at equilibrium with the atmospheric pressure. When there’s a change in that atmospheric pressure, it creates a change in what you’re experiencing in your head and what’s going on in the air around you. That shift is a Migraine trigger.”

During fluctuations of air pressure, I would like to know on how we feel under this conditions and what happen to blood’s pressure and viscosity.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions
Post Merge: 4 years ago

Referring to following articles, I would like to know on what happen when blood pressure fluctuations within body,

Do you find any related materials about this issue?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

"Deep water diving can cause extreme changes in blood pressure levels. The amount of atmospheric pressure is increased dramatically, due to the pressure exerted by the water over the swimmer. This increased pressure forces an increase of blood pressure, which can be extremely dangerous to anyone with high blood pressure. Individuals with blood pressure problems should consult their physician prior to any deep water diving excursion, to avoid serious risks to their health.

The effect of atmospheric pressure can be seen in reverse, by studying astronauts. These individuals spend long periods of time in space, without gravity, and the pressure exerted by the atmosphere. The greater the length of time spent outside of the Earth's atmosphere, the more likely that the astronaut will experience fainting episodes upon their return to Earth. It is theorized that the increased atmosphere puts a higher demand on the heart and it cannot keep up, which makes the blood pressure lower, which results in fainting. Further studies and reviews are still necessary to fully understand this phenomenon.

Changes in weather, which cause changes in atmospheric pressure, can be reflected in blood pressure fluctuations. According to a study published in the Journal of Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy in 2001, changes in air pressure do result in changes in blood pressure. This study, titled: "Close Association Between Day-to-day Fluctuation of Atmospheric Pressure and Blood Pressure", studied over 400 individuals, concluding that there was a correlation between the fluctuations of the atmospheric pressure, and blood pressure readings on a day-to-day basis."
https://healthfully.com/atmospheric-pressure-affect-blood-pressure-5402542.html
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Hi oem7110

During fluctuations of air pressure, I would like to know on how we feel under this conditions and what happen to blood’s pressure and viscosity.

To answer what happens to the blood as barometric pressures vary, we need to look at how the blood changes at varying altitudes. That said, it has been found that the amount of haemoglobin in blood increases at high altitude (low pressure environments) -- physiological changes to the body based on the climate is called acclimation. Increasing the amount of haemoglobin in the blood increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried. However, there is a downside: when there is too much haemoglobin, blood becomes sticky and viscous (thicker) and it is harder for the heart to pump the blood around the body. This happens in chronic mountain sickness. A higher viscosity indicates that the medium is thick flowing; a lower viscosity that it is thin flowing.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, oem7110
Under low pressure environments, blood becomes sticky and viscous (thicker), so heart beat increase and people easily get rheumatic diseases and Migraine trigger, because lacking of oxygen, would it be the root cause?  Do drinking more water help to dilute the blood under this situation? but problem is still no solved, because of lacking oxygen and heart would need to pump harder and harder, would it be correct?

During this low pressure period, I feel harder to do jogging on this period, would aerobic exercise be recommended? such as jogging.

Furthermore, I would like to know on how changing pressure (from high to low and then from low to high again within a day) affects on viscous as well, how do body handle the amount of haemoglobin in blood within body under this situation?

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Water is certainly recommended at higher altitudes. At higher altitudes (very low pressure), sweat evaporates quickly and you may not realize how much water you are losing through exertion. The lower oxygen levels also make you breathe in and out faster and more deeply, so that you lose more water through respiration. IN FACT, you lose water through respiration at high altitude twice as quickly as you do at sea level. High altitude can also make you need to urinate more often, putting you at even greater risk of dehydration.

rheumatic diseases

What do you mean by "rheumatic" disease, are you referencing the autoimmune disease known as rheumatoid arthritis?

Let me address this first before the follow up question Upwards Arrow
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
I would like to know on how lower air pressure cause joint swelling or tenderness, and related to inflammatory. 

"Our data demonstrate that osteoarthritic patients experience increased joint pain in response to a decrease in pressure, indicating that low atmospheric pressure conditions exacerbate joint pain in these patients."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15633634
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
I replied this question on page 1 of this thread

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=1926319.msg4972117#msg4972117
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Referring to following articles, I would like to know on what cause inflammation within body, would lacking oxygen be the root cause?

"Arthritis is a painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints. A chronic pain disorder afflicting some 19 million adult Americans, arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the US. The most common types are osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA), but arthritis comprises more than 100 other inflammatory diseases and conditions, including fibromyalgia, gout, and lupus.

The definitive causes of arthritis are unknown. In osteoarthritis, or degenerative joint disease, the cartilage, surrounding tissue, and bone may be destroyed by physical wear, infection, or aging. In rheumatoid arthritis, a faulty immune response may cause inflammation that erodes the joint linings called synovial membranes. There is no cure for arthritis. Many people with arthritis successfully manage or improve their quality of life with physical therapy, exercise, weight control, and medications.

International studies are finding that hyperbaric oxygen therapy is markedly superior to the routine treatment of RA. In 1995, the Proceedings of the Eleventh International Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine published the results of one particular study. These results indicated the following effects of hyperbaric oxygen on the disease."

https://www.o2oasis.com/internationally-treated-conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/
wrote...
Educator
Arthritis / rheumatoid arthritis are autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases are a broad range of related diseases in which a person's immune system produces an inappropriate response against its own cells, tissues and/or organs. This disorder is NOT influenced by external factors. The inflammation is caused by the immune system cells, but the specific cells I'd have to research.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is being used to treat RA, Somehow lacking oxygen is related to a painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints. Would it be the right direction?

wrote...
Educator
It could reduce the symptoms of RA, but it doesn't cure it. The most effective treatment are immunosuppressive drugs. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment is used by athletes to recover faster after a workout; saturating your muscles with oxygen demotes the formation of lactic acid or hypoxia induced inflammation originating from active muscle cells.

The study in which you're likely referring to suppressed the elevation of circulating macrophages -- from what I remember, macrophages aren't responsible for the inflammatory response. I like the idea of using an external source, like oxygen, rather than medicine that can potentially harm the host. Do you have RA? Have you tried it?

Source Hyperbaric oxygen reduces inflammation, oxygenates injured muscles, and regenerates skeletal muscle via macrophages and satellite cell activation
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
hypoxia induced inflammation originating from active muscle cells.

I would like to know more about how hypoxia induced inflammation originating from active muscle cells, do you find any related articles talking about this issue?

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Apologies, I confused "contused" with "active". I meant to say "contused muscle" -- meaning injured. For that, you can use this source: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-19670-x
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Since RA often occur under Low atmospheric pressure, I would like to know on how macrophage relate to inflammation under this environment as comparing with high pressure environment.  Would macrophage be more active under Low atmospheric pressure?

Thank you very much for any suggestion
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Do you have a source suggesting that RA flares occur under low atmospheric pressure?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1392 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?