r
d
l
a
cloveb cloveb
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Is it true some women don't feel any pain during labor and birth?

is labor/delivery time genetic?  Slightly Frowning Face
Read 240 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
I think psychology plays a major role. When we anticipate pain, we're more likely to be anxious of how painful it'll be and when it'll arrive. I think that's the reason why some women and better conditioned than others dealing with labor pain. But what do I know, I'm just a guy Face with Stuck-out Tongue
cloveb Author
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
A study done in Sweden where they asked women to fill out a survey after their birth experience about their pain. The survey was filled about 45 hours on average after the birth. However, most people in this study had medications for pain management including nitrous oxide or epidurals. Non-drug methods of pain management were also common in this study. The most common methods of non-drug pain management were taking a bath or a shower, using massage, and using deep breathing or relaxation techniques. Forty-one percent of the participants rated their pain as the worst imaginable pain and 1% reported that they did not experience pain at all. Unfortunately, we don’t know anything about what pain management techniques those 1% were using. It’s possible that they were medicated. It’s possible that they were unmedicated. We just don’t know.

A 1998 article in the American Journal of Nursing that suggested that 1% of people, or 1 in 100, do not experience pain during labor or childbirth. Where they got that number from wasn’t cited in the text, but when we went through the reference list we did find a paper published in 1996 where the authors found that 1% of women reported no pain at all during childbirth.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1117 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204