t
S
m
s
ajac63 ajac63
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
4 years ago
Does time really change or alter at the speed of light, or is it the ageing process and the things that we measure time with altered or effected at such velocities?
Read 312 times
4 Replies
 *Link Removed*

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
If you moving faster than the speed of life, you will age the same way as you are right now (biology doesn't change). The person not moving at this rate (called the inertial frame) will also age at the same biological pace he/she is in, except relative to you, much faster.
ajac63 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Thanks, I like that explanation.  Reason I posted it, is that many years ago a relative (pun not intended...) of mine and a good friend of his were discussing that part of Einstein's theory that says time becomes distorted at such velocities, but the valid argument was raise that it isn't time itself that changes but the ageing process and the things by which we measure time may become effected.
 *Link Removed*
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
@ajac63, I've been studying science my whole life, and no matter who I talk to, there isn't a consistent explanation to general relativity and time dilation albeit due to misconceptions.

My first experience with the topic came when I first watched Planet of the Apes (original 1960's version) - if you're familiar with the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a difficult theory to understand, I think, because "light" is difficult to quantify. What is light? Do we ever really ask ourselves that?

We can easily say that a packet of light (a photon) has both wave and particle properties, but then does that mean photons have a measurable mass when moving? And if they have a mass, do photons exert gravity? Of course, we can use E = mc2 to answer these questions scientifically, but to the average enthusiast, it's hard to comprehend.
ajac63 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Yes, I certainly remember Planet of the Apes in which the main character had aged normally even though life on earth had fast-forwarded by hundreds, maybe thousands of years.
 *Link Removed*
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  895 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370