l
t
S
m
s
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following articles as shown below, I would like to know on what role of Vitamin D play for serotonin production.

Vitamin D3 helps raise blood levels of vitamin D, Vitamin D is actually a fat-soluble hormone. Do taking Vitamin D3 supplement help to increase Vitamin D on blood level? even through Vitamin D is lacking on blood level. On the other words, can Vitamin D3 convert into Vitamin D?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

"As the days get shorter during fall and winter, we see less and less sunlight. This is especially true when you find yourself rising before sunrise or not leaving work until it’s dark outside.

Vitamin D is important for serotonin production, and serotonin is important for many functions including our sleep-wake cycles. Our main source of vitamin D is sunlight, meaning when we don’t get sunlight we miss out. Research has shown that a lack of sunlight can increase feelings of depression and fatigue and increase carb cravings as serotonin levels are affected."

https://www.amerisleep.com/blog/weather-influences-sleep/
Read 753 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Given our previous discussions, I think this is the most plausible connection between lack of sunlight and symptoms of SAD, which are intrinsically related to serotonin.

You'll definitely enjoy reading this article. If you have any specific questions about it, reply back!
 Attached file 
(753.92 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
In generating Vitamin D within our body under the Sunlight, I would like to find any related materials talking about what spectrum of light would be the best on this process, such as blue vs red.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago

Can you read the figure above?

Source https://solarcsystems.com/en/information/lamps-for-vitamin-d-phototherapy/?v=3e8d115eb4b3
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Referring to following image, Vitamin D works best with UVB, and not work with UVA.  If this is the case, I would like to know on how Vitamin D is generated with Sunlight, since there is not much UVB on Earth surface.

From Observery station:
UVC is very little on earth surface
UVB is less 2% on earth surface
UVA is about 98% on earth surface

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
You're right about the UVA, that's an interesting point 👍

This suggests you need SUNLIGHT, not artifical light to impact vitamin D3 biosynthesis.

2% of all the sunlight energy that hits earth is enough to activate the biosynthesis of vitamin D3. We co-evolved with the nature, and more or less will negatively impact our health.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Vitamin D is important for serotonin production, is Vitamin D referring to Vitamin D3?

If yes, during winter, can I take Vitamin D3 supplement to prevent any winter blue issue?

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Theoretically, BUT a study published in 2014 by Danish researchers found that vitamin D supplementation didn’t directly improve SAD symptoms. Source provided below Downwards Arrow

https://bmcresnotes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-0500-7-528

SAD is a complex illness, experts can't solely pin its presence on a lack of vitamin D. Mental health disorders usually develop because of a person’s environment, circumstances, physiology or a combination of these items.

There is evidence that some people with depression may also have vitamin D deficiency, but it is not clear what role the deficiency plays in depressive symptoms of SAD. There are many factors that affect symptoms of depression, so the best evidence at this point supports having your vitamin D level checked by a healthcare provider. If it's low, then take some, if not, then it's likely something else.

ALSO, be mindful that vitamin D3 is fat-soluble, so it's toxic in high levels.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Vitamin D3 is important for serotonin production, correct? not the general term Vitamin D

When vitamin D3 is fat-soluble, would taking 400 / 800 IU daily be enough?  I would like to know on what is the recommended dose of Vitamin D3 daily

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
When vitamin D3 is fat-soluble, would taking 400 / 800 IU daily be enough?  I would like to know on what is the recommended dose of Vitamin D3 daily

Should be fine. Take a look at this chart:

Vitamin D3 is our focus, cholecalciferol.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
You're right about the UVA, that's an interesting point 👍 This suggests you need SUNLIGHT, not artifical light to impact vitamin D3 biosynthesis. 2% of all the sunlight energy that hits earth is enough to activate the biosynthesis of vitamin D3. We co-evolved with the nature, and more or less will negatively impact our health.

Referring to following statement, I would like to know on whether UVB can reach the Earth's surface through diffuse solar radiation or not.

"Direct solar radiation is the part of the sunlight that reaches the surface of the earth straight through the atmosphere. The remaining part of the sunlight, known as diffuse solar radiation, takes a more indirect route as it becomes scattered or reflected by air molecules, water vapour and dust. Global solar radiation is all the sunlight that reaches the earth's surface and is merely the sum of the direct and diffuse solar radiation. "
https://www.hko.gov.hk/press/D4/pre20100401e.htm
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Regardless of the obstacles, UVB still penetrates the earth's atmosphere.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Can I conclude that diffuse solar radiation contains no UVB at all?

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
No, let's just say that 2 percent of the sunlight that reaches your skin is UVB.

I'm more comfortable with that
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  876 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion