m
s
bio_man bio_man
wrote...
Administrator
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
I just bought marmite yeast extract b/c I've always wanted to try it. Anyway, after spreading on some bread, I nearly threw up trying to swallow it. It's probably the worst tasting substance I've ever put in my mouth. So how do people eat this? Is it meant to be eaten in its concentrated form?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 187 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
4 years ago
It’s British, although it was invented by a German: Chemist Baron Justus von Liebig discovered that the yeast leftover from brewing beer could be converted into a gooey high-protein byproduct. It was first sold by the Marmite Extract Company in England in 1902.

Marmite spread on buttered toast is one of my ultimate comfort foods. People who love me have learned to tell when it’s been a trying day. I am likely sitting down to Marmite in some form or fashion and a large cup of tea (the larger the better). One of my favorite lunches consists of Marmite toasties: bread spread with butter and Marmite and topped with cheese that is grilled until the cheese melts.
But over the years I’ve also learned to use Marmite in my cooking. It gives basically anything a hit of umami. I add it to mushrooms; I spoon it into soup; I mix it with vegetarian casseroles for that meaty savoriness my taste buds sometimes crave (I’ve been mostly vegetarian since my teens). I add it to fritter dough and then toss caramelized onions into it and fry it off for a quick snack. Marmite plays very well with onions!

But it’s not just for savory things; Marmite also works in desserts. It goes particularly well with chocolate and I’ve added it to brownie batter and peanut butter-chocolate chunk cookies.
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
While I like the taste of Marmite I feel sad the ingredients list is not as good. Any thoughts on highly-processed current version of Marmite? Thanks!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1125 People Browsing
Related Images