t
i
r
r
dravid11 dravid11
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
A 13-lb child is ordered phenytoin oral suspension (Dilantin) 5 mg/kg/day in two divided doses. The phenytoin is dispensed as 125 mg per 5 mL. Determine the milliliters per dose the nurse will administer per dose. Use a leading zero if applicable. Record your answer using one decimal place. ________ mL  ans =5.7

The nurse prepares the following solution strength for a patient receiving continuous enteral feedings: ½-strength Ensure 1000 mL by nasogastric tube every 12 hours. Determine the amount of water required to prepare 1000 mL of this solution. Record your answer using a whole number. _______mL water ans= 500

The health care provider prescribes 325 mg of ferrous sulfate to a patient who is diagnosed with anemia. The drug is to be administered by orogastric tube. The drug concentration is 60 mg/mL. The drug osmolality is 4700 mOsm. The desired osmolality is 500 mOsm. How much water dilution should the nurse prepare to obtain the desired osmolality? Record your answer using one decimal place.  __________mL
Read 148 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
A 13-lb child is ordered phenytoin oral suspension (Dilantin) 5 mg/kg/day in two divided doses. The phenytoin is dispensed as 125 mg per 5 mL. Determine the milliliters per dose the nurse will administer per dose. Use a leading zero if applicable. Record your answer using one decimal place. ________ mL  ans =5.7

Ok, so here's what I did:

13 lb to kg = 5.9090 kg

5 mg/kg/day * 5.9090 = 29.55 mg/day

Then, 29.55 mg/day * 5 ml/125 mg = 1.47 ml/day or 1.5 ml/day

I'm not sure what they mean by "ordered ... in two divided doses". So if 1.5 ml/day is wrong, try halving it to 0.75 ml/day.

My work is shown for clarity
Source 
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
The nurse prepares the following solution strength for a patient receiving continuous enteral feedings: ½-strength Ensure 1000 mL by nasogastric tube every 12 hours. Determine the amount of water required to prepare 1000 mL of this solution. Record your answer using a whole number. _______mL water ans= 500

Funny, I get 500 mL as well.

Strength = amount of solute (the drug) divided by amount of solution

1/2 = x / 1000 mL

Solving this proportion for x, you get 500 mL. It's either that or 2000 ml.
Source 
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
The health care provider prescribes 325 mg of ferrous sulfate to a patient who is diagnosed with anemia. The drug is to be administered by orogastric tube. The drug concentration is 60 mg/mL. The drug osmolality is 4700 mOsm. The desired osmolality is 500 mOsm. How much water dilution should the nurse prepare to obtain the desired osmolality? Record your answer using one decimal place.  __________mL

I think the answer is 4.8 mL
Source 
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
The health care provider prescribes 325 mg of ferrous sulfate to a patient who is diagnosed with anemia. The drug is to be administered by orogastric tube. The drug concentration is 60 mg/mL. The drug osmolality is 4700 mOsm. The desired osmolality is 500 mOsm. How much water dilution should the nurse prepare to obtain the desired osmolality? Record your answer using one decimal place.  __________mL

Ok, so just revisiting this, I think my first attempt it wrong.

We're told it's 60 mg of solute (drug) per 1 mL of solution. To get its volume, take 1 ml/60 mg * 325 mg, we get the volume as: 5.416 mL (this will serve as V1)

Also, initially it's 4700 mOsm, which is the same as 4.7 Osm, which is the same as 4.7 osmoles per 1 liter.

The dissociation equation for this molecule is: FeSO4 > Fe2+ + SO42-, so ... 2 solute particles per 1 mole of FeSO4, AKA 2 osmoles / 1 mole of FeSO4

If we multiple 4.7 osmoles/1L by 1 mole of FeSO4 / 2 osmoles, we get C1 = 2.35 moles /1 Liter

Let's do the same for C2: 0.500 osmoles / 1 L * 1 mole of FeSO4 / 2 osmoles = 0.250 moles /1 Liter

Let's use the formula V1C1 = V2C2

(5.416)*(2.35) = (x)*(0.250)

x = 50.9 mL >>> You can try this as your answer too
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1064 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?