s
r
d
l
drkfuture drkfuture
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
Hello , I m confused by the plethora of information about Humane Genes online, Some say there is a difference between Non-Coding DNA and Junk DNA, some say there is NOT. I read it in rationalwiki Non-coding DNA" refers to portions of the genome that don't code for proteins, the Rest are Junk. As it says -
"Non-coding DNA" refers to portions of the genome that don't code for proteins...Protein-coding and non-coding DNA (known functional DNA) make up about 8.7% of the human genome, and 65% of the rest is known junk. It is assumed that the unknown 26.3% is most likely junk — geneticists and ENCODE project members differ in that ENCODE tends to assume functionality as a null hypothesis (ironically, so do creationists) and real scientists assume non-functionality"

what about Pseudogenes and JUNK RNA, are they Non-Coding or Junk ?
Someone pls clarify these thing in layman term.
Read 153 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Hi there, here's my understanding.

The two are not the same.

Junk DNA is DNA that is found outside of start and stop sequences.
Non-coding DNA is the DNA that's found within a gene that gets spliced out during transcription of mRNA.

Selective mRNA splicing plays a role in regulating gene expression, and depending on the organisms needs, what gets spliced could vary, making some non-coding DNA actually important.

Hope this clarifies things
drkfuture Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Junk DNA is DNA that is found outside of start and stop sequences.
Non-coding DNA is the DNA that's found within a gene that gets spliced out during transcription of mRNA.
Do u mean all Intros are non-coding DNA ?
How is a gene designated as start and stop? ( I knw about start and stop codon)
its said that we have 98% Junk DNA in human Genome, does it include Non-Coding as well
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Do u mean all Intros are non-coding DNA ?

First, both coding and noncoding regions of DNA are transcribed into mRNA, hence it's part of the gene. Therefore, the noncoding regions include all the 5′UTR, 3′UTR.

How is a gene designated as start and stop? ( I knw about start and stop codon) its said that we have 98% Junk DNA in human Genome, does it include Non-Coding as well

Anything that's intergenic is technically "junk" DNA. However, biologists don't like using this phrase, and here's why: just because we don't know its purpose, doesn't mean we can denounce it as being useless or junk. In fact, it has been suggested that junk DNA serves as a gene reservoir from which potentially advantageous new genes might emerge. So it might not really be "junk" after all.

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Updated my post Upwards Arrow
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  980 People Browsing
 166 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?