r
d
l
a
drkfuture drkfuture
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
1- When we call Human Genome, do we mean only the portion of DNA that codes for Protein (which estimates 20,000 to 26000), or we mean all the DNA (coding & non coding)

2- Do All Genes code for protein? (if Not, why call it a gene?)

3- What is gene actually? anything that codes  for protein or liable for a human Trait, or gene has other functions?
Read 191 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
1- When we call Human Genome, do we mean only the portion of DNA that codes for Protein (which estimates 20,000 to 26000), or we mean all the DNA (coding & non coding)

The point was to map out the complete sequence of DNA, every nucleotide possible. From that, find common patterns that signify genes.

2- Do All Genes code for protein? (if Not, why call it a gene?)

Not at all. Proteins usually consists of multiple polypeptides strung together. Look at the hemoglobin protein.

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=20222

It consists of the alpha and beta chain, which are two different genes.

3- What is gene actually? anything that codes  for protein or liable for a human Trait, or gene has other functions?

Genes ≠ protein. The one gene one protein hypothesis is old and debunked.
drkfuture Author
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, drkfuture
Thank u very much bro.

The point was to map out the complete sequence of DNA, every nucleotide possible. From that, find common patterns that signify genes.
the problem I had was with the term 'GENOME'- it sounds like a "gene". So, u r saying 98% GENOME is non-coding, only 2% of our Genome is GENES (20,000 Genes), am I right? That means the non-coding portion (98%) is also within Human Genome ?

Genes ≠ protein. The one gene one protein hypothesis is old and debunked.
Does it mean one Protein can contain multiple Genes?
Does Gene makes anything else other than protein?
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
So, u r saying 98% GENOME is non-coding, only 2% of our Genome is GENES (20,000 Genes), am I right? That means the non-coding portion (98%) is also within Human Genome ?

I'm certain. Compare with Proteome

Does it mean one Protein can contain multiple Genes? Does Gene makes anything else other than protein?

Genes are translated into polypeptides, first and foremost. It's not the opposite way around. Polypeptides are RARELY proteins in their own right. Most functional proteins consist of multiple polypeptides, which suggests that 1 gene = 1 protein, but 99% of the time it's >1 gene are required form 1 protein.
wrote...
4 years ago
good information
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1091 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431