S
m
s
prashantakerkar prashantakerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, prashantakerkar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondola_lift

What is the maximum load carrying capacity of a Gondola Lift?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 1222 times
24 Replies
Prashant S Akerkar

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Depends on the make, model, and use. Some are designed to ship heavy bulk commodities such as scrap metal, aggregates, logs, lumber, scrap steel, etc. These have a huge load bearing capabilities. (See Source)

For Gondolas that transport people, they can usually hold around 600 kg in total weight.

Source  https://www.up.com/customers/all/equipment/descriptions/gondolas/index.htm
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago

Thanks.

Attached Gondola lift images.

Can a Single Gondola lift withstand 1 ton i.e. 1000 kgs ?

What will be the different formulas involved for calculating a single Gondola lift maximum load capacity ?

Example :

Point  A (Mountain) - Point B (Mountain).
Say there are n=5 Gondolas lifts moving at
30 kms/hr.

Note : I do not have user experience as I have not travelled by Gondola lift.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
If there is a formula, it'd have to include the cable grade, cable strength, cable girth, cable length, train weight, material used to build the arm, etc. There are too many factors that'd need to be accounted for for this formula to work consistently with all gondola types. When they make these, these rely both on formulas, and physical testing. I found online that most passenger gondolas can hold up to 12 people; just like most high-rise elevators.
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thank you.

It will be interesting to trace the maximum load carrying capacity of the Gondola lift.

It will be also interesting to trace the different factors which can contribute to increase the carrying capacity of the Gondola lift.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
It would, but it largely depends on information we already know about the materials being used to construct the train. We know that the strength of steel increases with thickness, so if we want a heavy duty lift, it'd have to be made with thick steel cables. Here's an example of a load test done on an escalator:

https://youtu.be/t6pNLog15PQ
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, prashantakerkar
Thanks.

Gondola lift images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gondola+lift&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjnuZSv-KTkAhXYznMBHbFYBpQQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=gondola+lift&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.12...0.0..19026...0.0..0.0.0.......0.EFX7tAEDWq8&ei=ex9mXaeQKtidz7sPsbGZoAk&bih=592&biw=360&prmd=nimv

Interestingly what I observe from the Google images of Gondola Lift, is there can be more than one handles.

I.e.

Handle = 1,2,3,4. This factor can also make a difference i.e. Number of Handles in calculation of Gondola Lift Load carrying capacity.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
Just to give you an idea of the type of math involved in these kinds of calculation, download the two attachments below. Engineering has come a long way Wink Face
 Attached file(s) 
(12924.48 KB)
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gondola+lift+in+switzerland&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi__962yqXkAhX36nMBHbcQBjEQ_AUoAXoECAwQAQ&biw=360&bih=592

Time to reach from Switzerland to Italy by Gondola Lift = Number of Days/Weeks?

Are there Cable Stations between Switzerland and Italy for Halts? If yes, What are their names?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Where is Italy and Switzerland are we starting and stopping?
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thanks.

Start point : Switzerland - Start Station

End point : Italy - End Station

Can we locate points in between for the Station names where the Gondola lift will be halting for some time?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Sorry for the late response.

From this we can see that the distance from Rome to Bern is 926 km.

The typical speed of a gondola is 21.7 km/h (13.5 mph).

Doing the math \(926km\times \frac{1h}{21.7km}=42.7hours\)
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thank you.

Can you let me know the Gondola Lift stations names which halts in the 42.7 hours journey with the Halt time from Rome to Bern?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
The calculation was done to give you an idea of the time it'd take if one existed -- it's purely hypothetical. There are better means of transport (plane, car, train, etc.) Gondolas are meant for short distances, and when other means of transport are inaccessible.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  990 People Browsing
Related Images