i
r
r
Manggaliswary VijAyan Manggaliswary VijAyan
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
4 years ago
Question:

(a) Calculate the overall energy change in the combustion of ethane, C2H6. Is it an exothermic reaction or an endothermic reaction?

(b) Compare the energy released per gram from ethane with the energy released from glucose and butanoic acid

(c) Based on these examples, predict which compounds contain more energy per gram: hydrocarbons, fats, or carbohydrates
Read 183 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
(a) Calculate the overall energy change in the combustion of ethane, C2H6. Is it an exothermic reaction or an endothermic reaction?

First start by balancing the chemical equation:

2C2H6 + 702 -> 4CO2 + 6H2O

Next, calculate the net energy change. How many C-H, C-C bonds are there in the first reactant, O=O bonds? How many C=O bonds in the product, H-O?

2 * [ 6 (413) + 2 (347) ] + 7 * [ 498 ] => 4 * [ 2 (745) ] + 6 * [ 2 (467) ]

9830 => 11564

Therefore, the energy released by the formation of bonds in the products is greater than the energy added by breaking the bonds in the reactants. The energy released is:

11564 - 9830 = 1734

One mole of ethane molecule has a mass of 30.07 g/mol, so the energy content per gram is: 57.66 KJ/g of ethane

The overall oxidation reaction releases energy; therefore, the oxidation of ethane is an exothermic reaction.

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you so much
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
You're welcome, but please double check my calculation. Every textbook registers different numbers. I believe the table that corresponds to your textbook is shown below
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
4 years ago
Yar. It's almost the same and was really helpful. Tq again
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1096 People Browsing
Related Images