m
s
prashantakerkar prashantakerkar
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago

URL :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/rules_and_equipment/4179600.stm

Cricket fielding position names. Can more fielding position names be defined on the Cricket ground?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 1211 times
7 Replies
Prashant S Akerkar

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
That covers most of the field's surface area. What advantage would there be if more positions were defined?
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, prashantakerkar
Thanks.

I agree with you. Most of the cricket ground fielding positions are covered.

I was just wondering whether more fielding positions can be defined.

Maybe, there could be new cricket fielding positions between the outermost concentric oval and adjacent concentric ovals.

Note : There are three concentric ovals for the cricket ground with a rectangular pitch.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Maybe, there could be new cricket fielding positions between the outermost concentric oval and adjacent concentric ovals.

That would create too much congestion. The field is already saturated with players. Once again I wonder:

What advantage would there be if more positions were defined?
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thanks.

Advantages : Fielders will be fielding in the new fielding positions defined.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Advantages : Fielders will be fielding in the new fielding positions defined.

Right, but that'd mean more players on the field. This could make it harder to score points, it could make the game player more boring (or more competitive). They could try it out, but if the game is already popular, why change a formula that works.
wrote...
Valued Member
4 years ago
Thanks.

The number of players fielding on the ground remains the same as 11 which includes the bowler who is bowling to the striking batsman.

Some of the fielders could be on the new Fielding positions defined on the Cricket ground.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Thanks. The number of players fielding on the ground remains the same as 11 which includes the bowler who is bowling to the striking batsman. Some of the fielders could be on the new Fielding positions defined on the Cricket ground. Thanks & Regards, Prashant S Akerkar

I agree, the number of players should remain the same at 11, but recall that those boundaries are invisible. As a player, I'd assume you're free to move around within your position depending on the situation. So if you want to define more regions within the field, it won't change the game much. I'm certain that coaches have different words to describe varying regions within those defined positions, and the opposing players on one team communicate with each other on the field based on the opponent that's batting. To answer your question, more regions can be defined, but for the sake simplicity those listed in the diagram are thorough enough if you're describing the sport to sometime just learning it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  923 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370