n
a
C
s
m
wrote...
Valued Member
A week ago

Which is the farthest Backlog Century-Year Date can be selected in Calendar app for Smartphones?

Example : 19th Century - 1800 - January 1 can be selected ?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Read 157 times
7 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
A week ago Edited: A week ago, bio_man
Which is the farthest Backlog Century-Year Date can be selected in Calendar app for Smartphones?

To clarify, you mean how far back can a calendar app go?
The best way to say thank you is with a positive review:

Click here to review us!

Your support goes a long way!
wrote...
Valued Member
A week ago Edited: A week ago, prashantakerkar
Thank you.

Yes, I mean the backlog date selected from the calendar control which how far it can go.

Can it display the 19th century & behind centuries dates?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
wrote...
Educator
A week ago
A finely tuned algorithm programmed into a calendar can definitely take you back to any date in history, although I haven't tested any for this functionality.

If this is an objective inquiry, might I ask, what sort of information are you looking to get out of this?

Click here to review us!

wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
A week ago
On the iPhone, someone scrolled to the year 60313, so I know it can go forward, but what about backward?
Answer accepted by topic starter
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
A week ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything.
On the iPhone, someone scrolled to the year 60313, so I know it can go forward, but what about backward?

I don't know. Some sources say it goes to 4716 BC! Another person reported 1848. Some guy wrote:

The iPhone calendar can only go back as far as it aligns with the current calendar system. It may show dates, but as you go back to when leap years were added with the Gregorian to the Julian calendar and beyond, the differences would increase progressively and would depend where in the world you’re referencing. The initial decree by Pope Gregory XIII occurred in 1582. Catholic countries adopted the change right away, but Great Britain and its colonies didn’t adopt it until 1752, while many other countries transitioned later or stayed with their lunar calendars.

Assuming the current calendar system never changes, the iPhone calendar going forward will be accurate until 4909, when a day will be added due to the matching of the Earth’s orbit. [There is no February 29, 4909 in the iPhone calendar, yet.

In bold, that's a good point made. We add leap years every 4 years, so unless it takes that into account beyond 1582, it's not very accurate anyway. You'd have to program that into the calendar as well.

Someone also asked:

Why does the apple calendar stop going back at 4716 BC?

The accepted answer was:

In 1583, the French scholar Joseph Justus Scaliger proposed that the Julian Period starts at noon on January 1, 4713 B.C.E. (Julian calendar) and lasts for 7980 years. His argument was there was no recorded history prior to that time. Since the Gregorian calendar had just been adopted there may be some slack on the Julian side of things.

The calendar coders, as all good coders do, used it as a reference point and added a fudge factor.
This verified answer contains over 370 words.

Click here to review us!