a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Acidic solution is dissolved dirty from tiles, which is the foods for bacteria.  I would like to know on why and how it masks the smell, which come from bacteria.

When urine drops on tiles for a period of time, it becomes urine stone and stick on tiles, which is the foods sources for bacteria, would it be correct?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
At this moment, I still can smell little bit of methane, in order to confirm on whether methane come from leaking gas or bacteria within internal toilet.  UV light treatment is applied for 60 - 90 minutes, but for safety, I would like to confirm on whether the glass can block UV or not as shown below, if not, I might apply UV Light treatment tomorrow, when I am not at home.

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Acidic solution is dissolved dirty from tiles, which is the foods for bacteria.  I would like to know on why and how it masks the smell, which come from bacteria.

I was suggesting that MAYBE the reason why you're not smelling the odor is because the acid solution is somehow masking the scent of the odor -- much the same way air freshener does in the bathroom. I was saying that you should wait a few days before making the conclusion that the acid actually removed the odor for good.

When urine drops on tiles for a period of time, it becomes urine stone and stick on tiles, which is the foods sources for bacteria, would it be correct?

kidney stones/urine stones are formed when the concentration of certain substances, especially, oxalate, uric acid, cysteine, calcium are present in the urinary tract. If urine falls on the floor tile, stones are not formed. I may have mentioned that earlier. Hence, this statement is not correct.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
At this moment, I still can smell little bit of methane, in order to confirm on whether methane come from leaking gas or bacteria within internal toilet.  UV light treatment is applied for 60 - 90 minutes, but for safety, I would like to confirm on whether the glass can block UV or not as shown below, if not, I might apply UV Light treatment tomorrow, when I am not at home.

Glass does not block UV rays. Think of sunglasses, they need to be shaded in order to be effective in blocking harmful rays.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
I was suggesting that MAYBE the reason why you're not smelling the odor is because the acid solution is somehow masking the scent of the odor -- much the same way air freshener does in the bathroom. I was saying that you should wait a few days before making the conclusion that the acid actually removed the odor for good.

The logic is shown below:
1) Acid solution dissolves dirty substitute, which is the foods for bacteria
2) Bacteria cannot survive without foods
3) No methane gas releases from bacteria
4) No smell

What wrong is on above logical thinking?

I would monitor a few days to confirm the situation :>

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
The logic is correct, but you're assuming the culprit dissolves in acid. Why would hair, dirt, and debris dissolve in acid? It doesn't, unless it's highly concentrated acid, which it's not
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, oemBiology
On the tiles' surface, there is no hair, the purpose of acidic solution is mainly dissolve urine stone and it is highly concentrated acid to remove urine stone, but product mentions nothing about the concentration on product's specification and I get no idea on how another dirt react with this acidic solution. Doing it by try and error ...

There is still little smell on toilet, UV Light treatment need to apply today and confirm on whether there is a leaking gas or not.

I would monitor a few days to confirm the situation :>

oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
After UV light treatment for 3 hours in this afternoon (finished at 7 pm), I still smell methane around 12 am (much diluted smell as comparing with before applying acidic solutions on tiles),  I get no idea on what to do next, because I cannot confirm the source of methane.  Can bacteria grow so fast and release methane after 6 hours of UV Light Treatment?

Any comments?
1) Leaking gas is confirmed?
2) Cleaning tiles again?

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Try Drano -- yes, I know you can't buy that from where you are, so find an alternative that does the same thing. The ingredients were outlined in this thread, so I'd suggest you go to the hardware store to find a product that's similar. The "UV" treatment is a fail because you don't know if the blue light is actually producing UV rays. Also, if the UV treatment were effective, it'd only me momentarily effective because the source of the problem isn't resolved.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
I would like to know on whether Drano is to clean the pipe or tiles at this stage.

I try to cover the sewer hole and monitor on whether smell is removed or not.

For cleaning tiles, I may apply alkaline based approach, and would like to know on how to apply on cleaning. Do I need to brush the tiles as well?

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
May I ask why you're cleaning the tiles?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Cleaning tiles may be the wrong approach, I focus on sewer hole by applying following device, which can completely block the leaking and exclude methane source from this location.  Let monitor a few day ...

oemBiology Author
wrote...
May I ask why you're cleaning the tiles?

For sewer hole, there is already contained water within pipe, do I still need to confirm methane from this location?

3 potential sources of methane:
1) Sewer hole on the floor (Sewer Device is applied)
2) Bacteria on the tiles (Cleaned with acidic solution and UV Light treatment)
3) Leaking gas from unknown location

If I still smell methane, can I confirm that there is an internal pipe leaking?

wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
For sewer hole, there is already contained water within pipe, do I still need to confirm methane from this location?

Depends on how the pipe works. U-pipes are designed to hold water so that gases cannot escape, so the fact you're seeing water meanings that it's working as it should. There is the possibility that there is debris also contained in that pipe and it's not being flushed. In that case, try running a drain snake as far into the pipe as possible to try to push out the debris.

If I still smell methane, can I confirm that there is an internal pipe leaking?

Absolutely not, because if there was a leak, there would be a flood, and water damage.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  440 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?